is it possible to lose weight without counting calories?

Options
I am wondering this, because I am a student at Job Corps, and they don't have any information about how many calories are in the food. I would appreciate any replies I could get. Thanks everyone, and have a nice day.

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but very very difficult.
    When I've done it in the past ive tended to drastically cut, lose my appetite and lots of muscle tone with it.

• skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Well sure, if the amount of calories you eat happens to be less than what your body burns in a day. The nice thing about counting those calories is that with a little trial and error you are sure it will be less than what you burn in a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. I lost my first 30 pounds just by eating less in general. Doing that will require you to take a hard look at what you eat and be really honest about it. You can also google "serving size chart" and look at the image results if you want some visual cues to judge serving sizes. In your shoes, I would probably start by plain old eating a bit less and setting some rules in place such as "I will eat X servings of fruits/veggies per day, Y servings of protein, etc." Best of luck to you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes. Think about what you eat now on average. Try to make little cuts here and there, so that you're eating less than you usually do. Pick options that you know are lower calorie, even without seeing the calories. (common sense tells you that carrot sticks have fewer calories than french fries, mustard few than mayo, one slice of cheese has fewer calories than two slices, etc. ) If you start gradually losing weight, you're doing it right.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am wondering this, because I am a student at Job Corps, and they don't have any information about how many calories are in the food. I would appreciate any replies I could get. Thanks everyone, and have a nice day.

Look up the No "S" diet. Really simple idea.

No seconds, no snacks, no sweets. Exception is for days that begin with "S" Saturday, Sunday & special days (holidays, birthdays).

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    absolutely.

Counting calories is just one tool in the bag. The amazing thing about counting calories though is it gives you absolute control. Want to eat at maintenance? no problem. Want to lose 2lb/week? No problem.

As for the cafeteria, you can deconstruct the food and estimate (easy to do for foods like sandwhiches/wraps) or find something similar and estimate
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sure...I lost my first 55 pounds without counting, measuring or tracking anything.

I wouldn't need to track now if I didn't have to be extremely strict due to serious medical issues.

Some people can eat intuitively, some cannot. There is nothing wrong with doing your best under the circumstances and testing whether or not that can work for you.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    of course plenty of plans out there that don't involve calorie counting.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Possible, but again, like everyone else said - it will be a challenge. Try entering in the general measurement/type of food that you are eating. MFP has some good references for starting out so you can at least get in the habit of tracking when possible.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes from eating less calories than you expend. Counting calories is a way to help make sure you're eating less than you expend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Of all the times I've lost weight, the majority was not via counting calories.

I always lose weight when I have an active lifestyle and gain it when I go to a desk job and/or get into a new relationship and thus spend more time with him and less at the gym, plus I cook differently when I am in a relationship. When I'm single I gravitate to lower calorie food. And I don't bother to bake when it's just me.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2ipt9b5fakgq.jpg
    If you cannot know the amount of calories in the foods you are using, my suggetion would be to follow the plate method of filling your plate, and also in being selective of the foods you choose to eat.

Plate method ...
    fill 1/2 of your plate with non-starchy vegetables
    fill 1/4 of your plate with protein
    fill 1/4 of your plate with starchy vegetables OR grains
    Add a cup of dairy and a piece of fruit to enough meals so that you get your needs of calcium and fruit ... a woman in young adulthood generally needs 3 servings of dairy and 2 servings of fruit a day.

To help learn about portions, you can use the hand method as well and learn what a serving is of anything ... there are lots of good sources for that information on line and from the USDA ... for just a few examples ...

The size of your thumb is 1 serving of hard cheese
    The size of your palm, hand open, is a serving of chicken
    What fits into your cupped palm is a half cup
    What is about the size of your fist is a cup

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Of course its possible. Some people are very successful at losing weight just by eating mindfully.

I've never been successful at losing weight without counting. I wish I could and I've tried several times. I just can't.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting ("IF") is a good option too. You basically only eat during certain periods (like only from 12:00pm to 8:00pm or eat 5 days, fast 2 days). Yes, it's still possible to overeat doing IF if you go buck wild during your eating window, but it does make is easier to stay within range. However, some people couldn't stand going that long without eating, so it's definitely not for everyone.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have lost AND maintained without counting calories. It IS possible, but calorie counting is more accurate.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    2ipt9b5fakgq.jpg
    If you cannot know the amount of calories in the foods you are using, my suggetion would be to follow the plate method of filling your plate, and also in being selective of the foods you choose to eat.

Plate method ...
    fill 1/2 of your plate with non-starchy vegetables
    fill 1/4 of your plate with protein
    fill 1/4 of your plate with starchy vegetables OR grains
    Add a cup of dairy and a piece of fruit to enough meals so that you get your needs of calcium and fruit ... a woman in young adulthood generally needs 3 servings of dairy and 2 servings of fruit a day.

To help learn about portions, you can use the hand method as well and learn what a serving is of anything ... there are lots of good sources for that information on line and from the USDA ... for just a few examples ...

The size of your thumb is 1 serving of hard cheese
    The size of your palm, hand open, is a serving of chicken
    What fits into your cupped palm is a half cup
    What is about the size of your fist is a cup

This is very handy for those times when using a scale is just not possible. Thanks!!
  • pixie_please
    pixie_please Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it's totally possible, but I personally wasn't able to do it. I also ended up pretty nervous at the end of the day because I wasn't sure how many calories I had actually consumed even if I had tried to keep an eye on portion size.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I would second the idea of Intermittent fasting of the Eat Stop Eat style. In it you take one or two days a week (not back to back) where you fast 24 hours. Usually that means finish your supper, then don't eat or drink anything caloric until supper the next day (roughly 24 hours). Eat a normal supper, then continue eating normally for the day(s) until your next fast day. BTW, the ebook, Eat, Stop, Eat by Brad Pilon is well worth the money.

For many people that 24 hour stretch, especially since a bunch of it is time during which you are asleep, it not that difficult to get through. Drinking lots of water and other non-caloric drinks during it really helps. Just don't go nuts with the meal where you break the fast. It should be a normal meal no bigger than you would eat any other day.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Definitely. The last time I lost weight (65 lbs) - and the longest maintained loss - were done without counting calories.
    • Unlimited veggies (this works for me, since I rarely eat calorie dense veggies like potatoes) - I regularly ate 1-2 10-oz bags of veggies a day.
    • Unlimited fresh fruit (again - it works for me since I don't eat large quantities of fruits - I would have to limit them if I were a fruit fiend)
    • Small serving of plain protein not-covered-in-bread-or-fat 2 meals a day (cottage cheese, yogurt, baked meat, beans)
    • No added sugar
    • No added fat
    • 1-2 large servings of high volume/low calorie carbs (a bag of rice cakes a day, a bag of low calorie microwave popcorn a day) until I'm about halfway to goal, then transition to smaller volume, more nutrient rich carbs (e.g. whole grain bread)
    • No beverages with calories

Easiest weight loss and maintenance yet.

Alas, my body and carbs are now mortal enemies, so I am back to counting not only calories - but carbs - and crossing my fingers that I will be able to transition to something where I don't have to count anything (I really don't count well, over the long term).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes of course it is. It's not "really really" difficult as someone up thread said. It's harder than when you CAN count, but it's not super duper difficult. Just be mindful and aware.