how do I measure frozen fruit

Options
I put frozen fruit in smoothies so don't want to thaw. Not easy to measure whole strawberries in measuring cup. And can't weigh on scale with extra weight in ice. Is there a choice in MFP database for 5 medium frozen strawberries. I haven't found one. What about froxen blueberries, peaches, mango?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen, log it as raw fruit. If you were really worried about the difference in weight and were unable to find a frozen entry, you could use the information on the bag of frozen fruit to create an entry for "My Foods."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use frozen strawberries every day in my smoothie and 5 strawberries is roughly 3 ounces. The amount of ice is really negligible but you could always rinse them under cold water for a few seconds to melt it off first.

There is an entry for Strawberries, frozen, unsweetened in the database because that's what i use.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen too. I use frozen berries in my overnight oats and just use the nutrition info from the bag. My frozen blueberries are 140 grams for 70 calories. The frozen mixed berries have the same gram/calorie count but the nutrition info (fiber) is slightly different.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I put frozen fruit in smoothies so don't want to thaw. Not easy to measure whole strawberries in measuring cup. And can't weigh on scale with extra weight in ice. Is there a choice in MFP database for 5 medium frozen strawberries. I haven't found one. What about froxen blueberries, peaches, mango?

Does it have extra ice on the outside of the fruit? Can you break or rinse that off?

If you are talking about the ice inside the fruit, that's just the same water that was in the fruit before it was frozen so it will weigh the same as if the fruit were fresh.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Weigh it frozen and use the nutrition information from a bag of frozen strawberries (there will be numerous choices in the database). Same goes for frozen blueberries, peaches, mango.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen. If there's so much ice on the fruit you're using that you think it's going to have a significant impact on the weight, then you need a new freezer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit in a sealed container/bag? Ask yourself this: Where did the water come from? From the tiny amount of vapour that was in the air when the bag was sealed?

Or perchance... it is from the raw fruit when cells burst as it freezes. Most of that water was always part of that fruit. Make sure to reseal your bag well!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I weigh it frozen and use existing entries in the database - either the system entry for the fruit, frozen, or the brand entry, which I verify against the nutrition label on the bag.
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For smoothies I place the blender container on my food scale, weigh and record each item as it goes in including the frozen fruit, and then put it on the blender and blend away. I use the nutrition info on the frozen fruit bag but go by the grams not the cup measure.