going over

Options
When you go over your calories, do you compensate somehow (like by taking the calories you went over your goal by off the next day's intake) or do you just forgive and forget and continue as normal? I'm curious!

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've found it best to just move on. The only reason I've been successful for so long (almost 2 years now) is that I take every day as a new opportunity.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just move on and don't let it effect your success. It happens.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I compensate only if it's within reason (a couple of hundred calories, max). I spent waaaay too much of my younger life trying to out starve/jog/bike/elliptical compulsive binging episodes. I eventually learned that logging them, in full honesty, and then living the next day as normal, helps me move on from it and decreases the chance that I'm going to have a repeat episode, or become so emotionally and physically tired with the whole thing that I end up quitting.

This being said, I did go out to a nice Valentine's Day dinner and compensated for it by shaving 200 calories off my normal goal for a week beforehand. This means that I ate down to 1200 for six days, which is really not a big deal (I'm only 5'4, so this didn't leave me feeling hungry). By the end of the week, I had 1200 calories to "bank" for that one meal, then I went back to my normal 1400 calorie limit.
  • pixie_please
    pixie_please Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've found it best to just move on. The only reason I've been successful for so long (almost 2 years now) is that I take every day as a new opportunity.

Yeah, I think compensating would just make me freak out.
  • pixie_please
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I agree. Just move on and don't let it effect your success. It happens.

That's a good way to look at it! Definitely think I'll stick w my method of continuing as normal the next day.
  • pixie_please
    Options
    I compensate only if it's within reason (a couple of hundred calories, max). I spent waaaay too much of my younger life trying to out starve/jog/bike/elliptical compulsive binging episodes. I eventually learned that logging them, in full honesty, and then living the next day as normal, helps me move on from it and decreases the chance that I'm going to have a repeat episode, or become so emotionally and physically tired with the whole thing that I end up quitting.

This being said, I did go out to a nice Valentine's Day dinner and compensated for it by shaving 200 calories off my normal goal for a week beforehand. This means that I ate down to 1200 for six days, which is really not a big deal (I'm only 5'4, so this didn't leave me feeling hungry). By the end of the week, I had 1200 calories to "bank" for that one meal, then I went back to my normal 1400 calorie limit.

That sounds v wise! I have had issues with compulsive overeating/binge episodes in the past and logging them definitely helped me too :) I think compensating would probably throw me quickly back into the restrict/binge cycle I was in when I first tried to lose weight.

That's a good idea actually! Definitely will be using that one if I have any meals like that coming up.