How much does your macro breakdown matter?

Options
WearRedLipstick
WearRedLipstick Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there!

I lost 15 pounds last year and am working on the last ten. I'm losing about a half-pound per week, and am sticking to around 1,600 calories per day. I work out 6 days per week (3 days Flywheel/spinning, 3 days barre class) and I'm happy with the results I'm seeing, though I definitely need to work on my patience. ;)

Anyway, in tracking, I notice that most days my fat intake is high, sitting around 50% of my macros, and this is pretty consistent for me. My carb and protein intake sit around 30% and 20%, respectively. My fat comes from mostly good sources: extra virgin olive oil, avacado, eggs, and dairy.

I guess my main question is, is it truly calories in versus calories out? How much does the macro breakdown matter? And secondly, is eating too much fat bad for you from a nutritional perspective? I've typically only paid attention to my calories, but I want to make sure my fat intake isn't something to worry about.

Thank you for any feedback! Happy Thursday!!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    For me, it's very important. I generally try to have my macros at 50/30/20 fat/protein/carbs. That seems to work the best for me when I'm trying to lose weight.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    for weight loss, calories in vs calories out. FOR ME, i want those calories to be made up of quality foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, with less highly process foods. I don't sweat it more than that. My personal main concern at the moment is eating a diet rich in protein because it seems to keep me satisfied. I don't worry about fat content with this approach. I just let the foods i eat fulfill my fat needs. but i eat almonds and some red meat and lots of chicken breast and eggs. then maybe a starchy carb like a baked potato "totally plain" and lots of steamed veggies...mostly broccoli and cauliflower. I don't eat much in terms of condiments and the like. maybe someday i'll re-introduce those sparingly but for now...just skipping that stuff and learning to enjoy foods in a more natural state.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    for weight loss, calories in vs calories out. FOR ME, i want those calories to be made up of quality foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, with less highly process foods. I don't sweat it more than that. My personal main concern at the moment is eating a diet rich in protein because it seems to keep me satisfied. I don't worry about fat content with this approach. I just let the foods i eat fulfill my fat needs. but i eat almonds and some red meat and lots of chicken breast and eggs. then maybe a starchy carb like a baked potato "totally plain" and lots of steamed veggies...mostly broccoli and cauliflower. I don't eat much in terms of condiments and the like. maybe someday i'll re-introduce those sparingly but for now...just skipping that stuff and learning to enjoy foods in a more natural state.

This^

Every one's macros will be a little different. But meeting protein (supports lean muscle) and staying full will help me stay on track.

Fat is necessary to help absorption of certain vitamins and it's filling to me. You don't need low carb unless you have medical issues.

Staying closer to your "pre-diet" macros will help you during maintenance. Drastic temporary changes just for weight loss leave you with a kind of "now what?" when you get to goal.
  • WearRedLipstick
    WearRedLipstick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

YES. This is what I've been doing and it works really well for me. I was just surprised when I looked at my macros for the first time and saw that I was consistently around 50% from fat each day. But this approach keeps me feeling full and fueled for my next workout, and I feel great. So I guess I'll just stick with it!