Help!!!! I'm addicted to Steps!

Options
I can't be the only one. :# I'm constantly checking for the next update. How many steps did it take for me to walk to the bathroom? Strangely satisfied to feel the vibration of being halfway to my goal...the little friendly vibrate or chirp to let you know Hey! Almost there. The fulfillment of reaching my goal and the elation of exceeding steps....I'm on overload. Just me? Can't be. I mean 6,000 steps, 10,000 steps, 21,247 steps!!! Woohoo!!!!!

And oh!!! The frustration of getting up, start walking around and WHAT??? I forgot my device? Wait.....NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! how am I gonna be able to get those steps back? The aimless 2 step in front of the microwave at work? Hmmpphh... No more 'twerking' at the dance clubs for me. Now I'm doing the MCHammer running man...that should get me about 1000 steps, right? (too young to know that move, Google it!)

My money to the company that makes a water proof device so I can continue to log the steps I take as I pirouette in my shower or walk on the bottom of the ocean floor while on vacation in the Cayman islands (yes you can do that!)

I can't stop looking at my step count. This can't be normal...

Replies

• zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am right there with you. Freaking out if I have forgotten to put it back on after a shower to doing laps at night in the living room to get in a few more steps. #ucanttouchthis :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I set my step goal low so that it goes off a lot during the day! LOL

I have had this stupid garmin for over a year now and I still do it. And it is not for calories at all.

edited to add that my garmin goes off at 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X, 6X and so on off my goal.
  • manders913
    manders913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted to steps for over a year and especially now that I have fourteen friends to compete with everyday. One of them is my 40 year old son and others are former students. Since I retired last August, I am worse than ever and it drives my husband crazy because I have lost over 30 lbs since then and need to focus on muscle building rather than aerobic. I just can't bring myself to take the band off my arm. I cringe at the thought!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was starting to think it was just me!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My sister asked me to do a little, "fitness challenge," every week before her her wedding for the bridal party. This week is a Step Challenge and it has gotten very addicting.
    I don't have a fitbit so I down loaded a step counter app on my phone. I'm a ballet teacher and all my music is on my phone; Its so irritating to know I'm missing out on all those steps during class!
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My Garmin is also waterproof so I never take it off. I am also addicted to steps-an obsession for sure! I park as far as I can from any where I need to go, find myself pacing in the classroom, always checking, checking, checking! Now I keep it set to tell time and try to look only after a workout but it is very hard not to know exactly how many steps I've taken since the last time I looked a whole 5 minutes ago! As addictions go, this is one with which I can live...there are many far worse ones out there for sure!
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    New to fitbit add me if u aint scard Pherenr@aol
  • sanfromny
    Options
    Oh! And the step challenges...Lord have mercy!!!
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm a stepaholic too. Once I was halfway to work when I realized I didn't have my tracker on - I actually turned the car around to go back home to get it. I also get irritable when the tracker app has a glitch and messes up my step count. Obsessing over getting my 10k steps per day has really gotten me moving and helped lose 50 lbs and counting.
  • jmattmacd79
    jmattmacd79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tragedy.
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Vivofit2 is waterproof and doesn't need to be charged, so it never comes off!

I'm a teacher too and I'm always looking for excuses to be up and moving around my classroom, but my students are 16-18 years old- they figured me out pretty quickly! Lol
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Another teacher here. And I really notice the difference between teaching days and days of courses or meetings. Half term here at the mo so I'm able to get extra steps!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    yes! steps!! more steps!!

I got my fitbit last year.. went from 2000 steps to 30K and more steps a day.

I stopped using it for a few months ... Started up again about 2 weeks ago. from 2000k steps to 21 k now.. need to hit those 30K steps!!

You are NOT alone..
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    My garmin vivosmart hr is waterproof!! And yes!!!! My coworkers now know that when I'm walking up and down the hall, it is not usually work related, lol. I my non run days, it's everything I can do just to get to my goal. The weekends are especially hard. Sometimes I only take around 3k steps....
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm so addicted! I look at my steps all day! I'm constantly checking to see where I stand in the challenges. I used to do a cycle class a couple times a week but stopped because it doesn't give me steps. Now I just take the dog and go for a jog.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love seeing the step count go up as I hit each thousand step mark, hitting 5, 6, 7, 8... I'd rather have this addiction than another, it's like they say, better the devil you know.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I HATE when I forget my fitbit.. feels like all those steps for that day don't count lol.
    I walk around folding laundry now.
    I walk when I brush my teeth.
    I walk walk walk walk walk.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    I walk when I brush my teeth.

^^^ OMG This!!^^^^^ I did this this morning!!!!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was out much later than normal last night, and while it was just drinks at a bar, it made my night to see I had a 446 step jump on my count for today!