Sometimes I wonder why...

Options
People don't use common sense with what they eat. If you're feeling hungry and having a mental battle whether or not you should eat a carrot or not, you need to calm DOWN. Sheesh.

Replies

• morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    you never had mental battles and freak outs on your way to your admirable weight loss? (congrats, btw!)
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Haha of course I have. But I've learned a lot from my mistakes, and looking back I realize now how silly it all was :P
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is venting about people who make a drama over minor things (like a carrot or even a couple hundred calories occasionally over) is not going to affect one's long term results - it's "only" major "lapses" that shoot down our progress. That said, I haven't really had any significant mental battles or freak outs, although I don't have as much to lose as some on the list. I eat what I want, but DO, in some cases, carefully consider HOW MUCH I can fit in - and eat right about "that much", even if it's just a thimble full of a treat (or I may decide the calorie hit is just not worth the moment of pleasure)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Haha of course I have. But I've learned a lot from my mistakes, and looking back I realize now how silly it all was :P

But you cannot belittle those going through it NOW. Maybe it was silly to you after you lost weight, but they're not there yet. Live & let live.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you've never battled with food addiction

Me I am an obsessive person and then when I feel I lose control I subconsciously really lose it!

Now I am focusing on excercisr rather than diet so I don't have to feel I am calorie counting too much
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

But you cannot belittle those going through it NOW. Maybe it was silly to you after you lost weight, but they're not there yet. Live & let live.

True enough. I 100% agree (from a practical, logical perspective) that it can be silly. But that's not something that someone can just tell you and you go "oh, of course, all of the mental struggles that I've had over food for my entire life leading me to become overnight are pointless and I just won't have them anymore!" Everyone has to learn it for themselves, through their own journey and experiences, just as you did. Even just "knowing" that it's silly doesn't make it any easier to plow through it until you learn to deal with it emotionally.
  • Ricknev
    Ricknev Posts: 2
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder why those with crap metabolisms don't understand that they can actually increase it for life by reverse dieting. I mean are people comfortable eating under 2500 calories a day? That's just so little.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Many people became overweight because they lack self control. These are folks who can't stop at one serving, so they fret over that one serving.

Once you have conquered your weakness, letting yourself have an indulgence here and there is no big deal, because you know you can really stop when you want to.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I never belittled anyone. I'm basically stating that I stressed and obsessed over MANY of the things that other people are doing now. I just wish I could save other people the heartache. And to the other poster, I've had food addiction. All of you really are misconstruing my post. It was meant to be a lighthearted poke at when we wean ourselves down to what is a "perfect diet" yet continuously try to find flaws in it to improve ourselves. Hence the epic mind battle over another carrot.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I never belittled anyone. I'm basically stating that I stressed and obsessed over MANY of the things that other people are doing now. I just wish I could save other people the heartache. And to the other poster, I've had food addiction. All of you really are misconstruing my post. It was meant to be a lighthearted poke at when we wean ourselves down to what is a "perfect diet" yet continuously try to find flaws in it to improve ourselves. Hence the epic mind battle over another carrot.

I'm afraid it didn't come across that way, it came across as rather accusatory and attacking.

Perhaps different use of language would have the desired result. :)
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, 'common sense'.

The quality that's so easy to claim in hindsight.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm afraid it didn't come across that way, it came across as rather accusatory and attacking.

Perhaps different use of language would have the desired result. :)

Yeah, i'm afraid it did kinda sound that way, but i'm glad it was just a case of miscommunication! I am (unfortunately) one of those people who freaks out over a going over by a couple of hundred and does the whole "oooh, i'm so hungry, but i can't possibly eat that measly bit of carrot in case i put on a pound!" To me, it's not silly. To me, losing weight is something i want so, so badly, and i work hard; i watch what i eat, i exercise every day, don't eat carbs after a certain time, and all the other things that other people may consider 'silly'. But i'm happy like this. To me, it isn't silly, to me it is wanting something badly and being determined enough to stick to a plan and achieve it.

I don't starve myself; sure, i get hungry sometimes, but i'm not stupid, if the hunger is affecting my physical ability to do anything then of course i'll eat that carrot; hell, i'll eat three! I also have a cheat day every week, where i'll loosen up and i will have a fry up for breakfast and spend the day scoffing cake and biscuits :p

Maybe one day i'll be at a weight where i'm happy enough that i can look back on the agonizing-over-the-one-carrot thing and laugh. But i don't think it will ever feel silly to me, because it will all be worth it.

As we all keep sayihng though, each to their own :)