fitbit vs. Walk at home videos

Options
I am curious about any others who use fitbit and do walk at home videos. No matter which video I use or who is doing the video when I walk a mile (per the video) my fitbit always says about .80 of a mile. It does not really bother me, but I am wondering if this rings true for others or if I am just not walking the pace of the video.

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I do the Leslie Sansone walk at home videos and I find the same. They never seem to be a full mile. I think it may be because we are not always taking a step on every beat with the music because we are doing kicks and knees up and all sorts of different movements that does not create a step. I think perhaps if you just walk and not do any other movements, then maybe it would be a full mile. Anyway, you are not on your own. I think most people will have this problem.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah, noticed that with my Garmin, too, but my Garmin measures arm movement, so if I'm not swinging it the beat, it doesn't count it as a step. I can be kicking my behind off, but my Garmin doesn't know it. I'm going to steal the HRM from my husband for a few days and see what calorie comparison I get.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When I do the Walk Away the Pounds videos I log them as aerobics since they are much more than walking, especially the fat burning series I have now. They don't even have the mileage ticker on them so I don't think of them in terms of distance. I never looked at my Fitbit to see what the mileage was but I will tomorrow.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's because you're not taking as many steps as Leslie. My step count during her sessions has definitely increased over the past year and half as I've become more fit!

Remember that the "distance" in FB is simply a calculation of steps x stride length. If you don't have your average stride set correctly, you don't get the right distance. Of course, you set the stride based on "real" walking, as there is no stride when walking in place.

Measure off 20 ft outside. Walk across this area & count the number of steps. Divide 240 inches/ # steps = inches per stride. Do this a few times to get an average. It's best to take a few steps before you start the measured area so your stride has reached it's normal length.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't know from setting my stride, but this weekend I did a Biggest Loser walking video and Bob said that his mile is 2000 steps. So now instead of paying attention to the distance on my fitbit I look at how many steps I take per mile. I am still a bit off, but I at least know what to aim for.