Newbie, 33kg (72lbs) to lose

Options
Hi everyone, I've been lurking a while so I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm 39, Irish, work part time & have 2 kids under 4. I'm also 33kg overweight (well, I was until last week when I started with MFP!). I've been carrying extra weight since my mid-twenties and plan on losing at least 16kg (half-way to goal) by my 40th birthday next year. I'm following a low GL diet & sticking to 1400 kcals per day - anything more and I'll fall off the wagon - and I'm doing 30mins walk/jog intervals 5 times a week (treadmill) plus whatever dog walks I can squeeze in. I'm planning on adding some lifting once all of the above becomes routine. This worked for me before - I lost 10 kg 2 years ago on the same plan but had another kid since then and didn't just fall off the wagon, I set fire to the damn thing and ate the horses too. No more kids are planned so I'm treating this as my final chance to get fit before I turn forty.

I've made a good start - did all my planned workouts and a couple of extra walks and was under my calorie allowance every day but one, losing 2.6 kg in my first week. My partner is following roughly the same plan too - he has about 15kg to lose - and that is helping. I'm carrying most of the weight on my abs/stomach - I haven't seen a rib for years and it's starting to get all foldy down there so it is definitely time to act.

So I hope to get to know some of you over the next 2 years or so and any tips for turning this apple into a core would be much appreciated!

Replies