Estimating calories Aqua Boot Camp??

Options
I just started a new class called Aqua bootcamp, and it is an interval cardio class in the water. Example intervals include running in the water, and a lot of rapid resistance type work with floats. I don't think I am explaining this well at all..anyway, I have done regular aqua fit classes, and aqua aerobics, and this is much much more exhausting, and I am breathless by the end of it.

How should I estimate the calorie burn for my diary of this type of activity? Currently, I have been logging it as water jogging. I don't plan on eating back any of the calories, so it's not a huge deal, but I am curious!

Replies

• aquacherrill
    aquacherrill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anyone responded to you? :) I am an AEA Certified Instructor. (A Water Personal Trainer)
    I have often wished for more information too, has there been an exact research on this?
    There never seems to be a lot of interest at the club levels, or in fitness logs...
    Aqua seems to be--the other group fitness class for the "pool" & seniors. lol - that's okay, don't take my spot !
    I started at 28 years old & saw results and did not feel "beat up" like a kick boxing class, however, lost baby weight.
    I liked it so much, I didn't care if i was the youngest one there. :-)
    Most seem to focus on Senior Aqua, but Aqua is for all ages! Boot Camps should be packed with runners/cyclists!
    Check with Aquatic's Exercise Association based in Florida (aeawave) to see if they have specific information.
    I teach Aquabata, & Boot Camp H20 similar to what you are describing.
    A recent article in the AEA Magazine quoted individual effort makes a difference, punches with noodle arms vs. strong arm, so - more effort was more calories burned up to 300-500! That is more than a boring treadmill!
    Enjoy your class... - you will see your cardiovascular improve & your having fun at the same time!