Wasabi Spicy Chicken with Rice Calories

Options
Hi All,

Does anyone know the correct calories for "Wasabi Spicy Chicken with Rice" in a regular tub?

From the search on MFP, it came up with 285 kcal for a 707g tub. It seems rather low.

Each time after I ate, I felt quite gratifyingly full, after the substantial portion served (chicken portion looked - 300-400g with 3-4 scoops of rice),

Please help solve the puzzle...

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    No way of saying as nobody knows what a regular sized tub is and what ingredients went into it. is it a supermarket product? then calories should be on it. If from a restaurant then all you can do is weigh the main ingredients and try to find recipes that look similar and put all ingredients into MFP separately, allowing for lots of fat. If you cooked it yourself then you know the ingredients.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree and hear what you're saying! It's not easy to know the nutritional and calories unless we know the ingredients or cook the meal ourselves.

Having said that, as Wasabi is a popular brand with a chain of restaurants (in the UK), they have an online menu with nutritional info. And that's where someone or MFP could have derived the nutritional/calories info from, I suspect.

The regular tub holds 707g allegedly. And eyeballing the portions, I would guesstimate that the meat (chicken) formed at least half of the portion.

I was hoping that:

1. Someone (fromUK) who had eaten the same meal may have known or queried the calories stated on MFP website.

2. To point out the vast difference (if at all) from the actual calories stated. But it's only based on my own humble perception,

In any case, thanks so much for your reply and for reaching out to me!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Nutritional information looks to be on their website here https://www.wasabi.uk.com/sites/default/files/wasabi_nuturition_info_2013_v4.pdf
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    If you can't find what matches, add in your own entry!
  • Triathlete1502
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Queenmunchy.

I did try to verify the nutritional info provided by MFP with the Wasabi website, and surprisingly, they are the same low 285 kcal.

From the Wasabi website:

1. Spicy chicken (383g): 122 kcal
    2. Rice (324g): 163 kcal

And adding 1 + 2 = 707g: 285 kcal

Hence the puzzle...
  • Queenmunchy
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That makes no sense...383 grams of chicken is 122 calories?! Ooh, that's off.

Same with the rice.

I'd just estimate the amount of cooked rice and chicken, then estimate a generic sauce.

You can always send an email to the company asking them to clarify!
  • Triathlete1502
    Options
    Great idea!!

Just sent Wasabi an email; fingers crossed there'll be some answers soon!
  • Triathlete1502
    Options
    Result!!

But not necessarily what I'd like to hear....

Nonetheless, it's better to indulge knowingly, than be condemned heavily, a hearty fool.

According to Wasabi Customer Care email reply, the calories stated on the website are per 100g.

So in essence, the spicy chicken with rice calories would be 383/100 x 122 + 324/100 x 163 = 995 kcal.

Looks like I have to have more/longer workouts to earn some Wasabi meals!