Help with soreness

Options
I need every home remedy you've ever heard of that works to ease sore muscles (MY QUADS ARE ON FIRE) ..READY GO!
**Already have epsom salt.

Replies

• harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1. Fuel yourself with proteins - mozarella, eggs, protein bars, whey.
    2. Rest.
    3. Cold compress.
  • Tim_Moelelr
    Options
    As a runner and strength enthusiast, grab a softball, baseball, tennis ball or, ideally, foam roller, and roll those muscles out. Your body will respond quicker and the soreness will subside. Additonally, you'll supply your muscles with oxygen to help alleviate the lactic acid build up. Do this for 20 minutes, in 5 minute intervals on each leg--strech the area, repeat and hold the ball to any spot that feels painful in order to smooth the knot out.

Ice baths, or, like the aforementioned, cold compresses will help.

Nutrition: bananas, protien, anti-inflammotry foods; blueberries (eat a pint!), sweet potatoes, etc.

Do some light, extremely light walking\stair climbing after you roll your muscles.

All of these will help.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    As a runner and strength enthusiast, grab a softball, baseball, tennis ball or, ideally, foam roller, and roll those muscles out. Your body will respond quicker and the soreness will subside. Additonally, you'll supply your muscles with oxygen to help alleviate the lactic acid build up. Do this for 20 minutes, in 5 minute intervals on each leg.

Ice baths, or, like the aforementioned, cold compresses will help.

Nutrition: bananas, protien, anti-inflammotry foods; blueberries (eat a pint!), sweet potatoes, etc.

Do some light, extremely light walking\stair climbing after you roll your muscles.

All of these will help.

I've done ice baths but I was trying to avoid it...haha! I'll try to roll them out, I've just never had a lot of alleviation with it. I guess I need to do it longer... its supposed to help because of increased blood flow and it gets rid of some of the fluid produced by inflammation. Lactic acid only remains in the muscle for up to 30 minutes after muscle use though, not sure why so many people think its lactic acid that makes your muscle sore. It's micro tears in your muscle that make it sore :P
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I'll try the rolling and compress. Hopefully it helps! Thanks :)
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    stretching, ice cold and warm baths, and also try taking glutamine before bed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    - stretching

- foam roller

- are you getting enough sodium and potassium

- lots of protein

- carbs are also necessary for aid in recovery

- take some advil/icy hot
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Thanks. Yes I'm getting the nutrients, just coming back from surgery so hit the gym a little too hard :(
    - stretching

- foam roller

- are you getting enough sodium and potassium

- lots of protein

- carbs are also necessary for aid in recovery

- take some advil/icy hot