Post-Workout Brain Fog that Lingers

Options
Hey everyone. I'm doing cardio almost daily with strength training and HIIT thrown in to mix things up.
I have a (weird???) problem. I will work out before lunch (when I have the most energy) and I will ensure I have a smart breakfast to fuel said workout. However, once I am done with my cardio workout... I find linger in a post workout haze all damn day.... and I hate it! It just makes me feel goofy and unmotivated. I will try to get some serious work in but I find myself fighting that "generally good" but kind of high feeling post-workout.

I'm sorry... I know it's such a minor complaint... but it's impacting my work days. I have tried exercising in the early evening but the workouts are not as successful as the earlier ones. I'd rather fit in my workouts between 11am-4pm.

Anyone else experiencing this? Do you have any tips or advice? Thanks so much for the help!

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It sounds like a fuelling issue in particular a low carb one.
    I'm 130lb and my workout is 30mins fast run and 45 heavy lifting.
    I fuel 2/3 hours before, greek yoghurt, banana, raisins, oats and honey. High carb. Lots of water.
    Soon after workout its pita with peanut butter, portion of protein, lots more carbs and veggies.

I probably consume 65% of my daily calories in than 5 hour window.
    I do it for good performance, and for fast recovery and muscle growth.

I always feel energised and clear.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a fuelling issue in particular a low carb one.
    I'm 130lb and my workout is 30mins fast run and 45 heavy lifting.
    I fuel 2/3 hours before, greek yoghurt, banana, raisins, oats and honey. High carb. Lots of water.
    Soon after workout its pita with peanut butter, portion of protein, lots more carbs and veggies.

I probably consume 65% of my daily calories in than 5 hour window.
    I do it for good performance, and for fast recovery and muscle growth.

I always feel energised and clear.

This. Carbs are the main component in the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin. That's not to say anything about low-carb diets, they're fine, but if you're feeling foggy after work outs, consider a protein bar with a heavier carb-load. It's quick energy (carbs) for the work out so you can reach your maximum potential, brain-supporting (carbs) to keep you feeling sharp, and the protein is essential for maintaining lean body mass and muscle repair. You can acheive this with regular food too, the bar thing is simply convenient.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Note also: If that doesn't fix it... are you a night owl? I'm a night owl myself and find it incredibly difficult to work out before, say, 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I get the best runner's high in the evening, and I end up feeling all dead and brain-weary when I try to work out too early. Just a thought. Try the carb stuff first.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Agree on the carb issue

You're not properly fueling yourself
  • furylabs
    furylabs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to each of you for your reply - it really helps hearing from others!

I normally choose to have oatmeal before a workout. Plain oatmeal with 1% milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar. I noticed that if I add nuts instead of sugar - I feel more stable during the workout.

• furylabs
    Options
    I should note that I am currently correcting a low iron status - my family thinks it is this, however I have been supplementing long enough to notice a huge improvement on that front. But do you think it could still be playing a role in recovery/time to clear (from brain fog)?
  • furylabs
    Options
    Note also: If that doesn't fix it... are you a night owl? I'm a night owl myself and find it incredibly difficult to work out before, say, 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I get the best runner's high in the evening, and I end up feeling all dead and brain-weary when I try to work out too early. Just a thought. Try the carb stuff first.

Yes! I am a night owl. But I find I get my best workouts in before 2pm. Weird how that goes! I used to prefer evening workouts... but they just aren't as productive (half as productive at best).