You Need to Burn 7,000 Calories to Lose a Pound, Not 3,500

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I must admit though, I've been eating very close to 100 cals under a day for 35 days and my loss (taken from a rolling average) is hilariously ONE POUND.
    I know each food item is either under or over, as is my exercise and General maintenance figure, but whatever these small errors are, overall it really works.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Derp lifehacker article is derp.

They don't link to the actual research.

The whole point of the article can be summed up as "There's no truly accurate way to measure exactly what one's 'CO' is, so many people probably overestimate it and as a result what they think is a 500 calorie daily deficit is really probably closer to a 200 calorie daily deficit"

Actually if you follow the links enough you come up to this tool : http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/body-weight-planner/Pages/bwp.aspx But life hacker is just a click bait site so overblows it. If you want to lose a pound this week it's 3500 calories, but if you want to lose that same pound in the future, and have lost some already then it will, in theory, cost you more in the present. It's like calculating present value of an financial intrument in a way. It's a fairly sound model from what I see but you have to actually understand what you are looking at and the article doesn't really explain it properly.

Yeah I found the tool, but the article makes the claim that it's based on research by the NIH, but they don't ever point you TO said research to see what it really said. If they're making the claim based on the mathematical model of constant calorie intake in the face of a declining CO as one loses weight, then they should say that, not cite 'research'. And yes, I'm fully aware that expecting anything remotely resembling journalistic integrity from lifehacker is a laughable concept in and of itself. ;)

I get all my information from BuzzFeed and LifeHacker -- doesn't everyone? :lol:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

The whole point of the article can be summed up as "There's no truly accurate way to measure exactly what one's 'CO' is, so many people probably overestimate it and as a result what they think is a 500 calorie daily deficit is really probably closer to a 200 calorie daily deficit"

Actually if you follow the links enough you come up to this tool : http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/body-weight-planner/Pages/bwp.aspx But life hacker is just a click bait site so overblows it. If you want to lose a pound this week it's 3500 calories, but if you want to lose that same pound in the future, and have lost some already then it will, in theory, cost you more in the present. It's like calculating present value of an financial intrument in a way. It's a fairly sound model from what I see but you have to actually understand what you are looking at and the article doesn't really explain it properly.

Yeah I found the tool, but the article makes the claim that it's based on research by the NIH, but they don't ever point you TO said research to see what it really said. If they're making the claim based on the mathematical model of constant calorie intake in the face of a declining CO as one loses weight, then they should say that, not cite 'research'. And yes, I'm fully aware that expecting anything remotely resembling journalistic integrity from lifehacker is a laughable concept in and of itself. ;)

I get all my information from BuzzFeed and LifeHacker -- doesn't everyone? :lol:

You forgot Daily Mail! Good stuff there!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

BTW I think this is the actual research that was published: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2015/06/03/ajcn.115.111070.abstract you have to really hunt through the links to get here but, of course, Life Hacker expect people on their site to actually be interested in anything but fluff so why bother posting it upfront, right?

ETA here's a better link http://calerie.dcri.duke.edu/
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options

Not as good as the Weekly World News but at least they are big enough to admit they just make it up!

Oh and Bat Boy 2016!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You guys are newbies. Everyone knows that all the best nutritional and fitness information comes from PopSugar.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

You guys are newbies. Everyone knows that all the best nutritional and fitness information comes from PopSugar.

Oh did you forget Food Babe? :wink:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

*barf*
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

*barf*

That's the normal reaction.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mmmm didn't read the article... but conversion error?

Maybe they really meant you need to burn 7000 to lose 1kg and not 1lbs.

I mean, those pesky different measurements that don't seem to add up with each other. Easy enough mistake to make...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

*barf*

Barfing is very detoxifying though.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I've lost 40 pounds on natural burns. It takes dedicating to not eating anything bad and following what your dietitian recommends. I burn up to 3,500 calories and I eat 1,200 to 1,700 calories a day. Correct dieting and exercises drops body fat which is where some of that 7,000 calories idea comes from. But I went down to 17% once not by that many calories so that's incorrect.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I mean, those pesky different measurements that don't seem to add up with each other. Easy enough mistake to make...

No, I wish they were just making a measurement mistake but the article is clearly convinced that math is not, in fact, math. They mean lb, and they are wrong on oh so many intricate little levels.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

No, I wish they were just making a measurement mistake but the article is clearly convinced that math is not, in fact, math. They mean lb, and they are wrong on oh so many intricate little levels.

I had some hope there...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    Options

*barf*

2oqg0s0hy9sy.gif
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Never let logic get in the way of a good argument!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »

Never let logic get in the way of a good argument!

u9cak8l5z5ut.jpg
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have 58 weeks worth of data that says otherwise.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Thanks I was just looking for my link for this. I actually found the original research and their 'Body Weight Planner' pretty cool. You plug in various variables and it will chart your weight loss over time. It compensates for your BMR dropping as you lose weight. Personally I don't find I track with the chart but I think that's because I'll go a certain amount of time losing nothing, then lose a little, then a period where I lose nothing again. So basically my scale weight is always lagging behind. But I did think it was sort of cool to play with.

*Actually I just looked at the numbers I pulled in January and I am literally within .2 lbs of what it says I'm supposed to be today. So that's not bad at all. But my daily weight fluctuates a lot more than the chart compensates for.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

*barf*

Does that mean I can give up my green tea cleanse this weekend if I just read her blog? Cool! :grin: