Pho

Options
As someone who's very fond of going out to dinner, I *think* that I have a pretty good handle on how to estimate the calories in what I'm eating.

But I have no idea how to do that with pho. Does anyone know? Or know of a Vietnamese restaurant that lists its nutritional info online so I can reference? Thanks!

Replies

• karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure. You can type it into yout dinner choice on here and look at your opinions. I did it with chicken pho and got 300 calories for 3 cups. I think that is half a bowl. I noticed that I retain alot of water weight after I eat pho. I love the stuff, but try not to eat it too often. Hope this helps
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nola.com said it was between 350-450 depending on the size and type of meat and amount.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My problem with the MFP estimates are that they seem to be all over the place.

600 seems low considering all the noodles, but hey, one meal won't kill me. :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That is a tough one! You can type in the ingredients individually - so pho tai would be something like vermicelli noodles, bone broth, eye of round, bean sprouts, cilantro, onion, and then you'd have to figure out the amounts.
    I've figured it out before on my homemade pho, but of course restaurants are going to vary. If you have an Asian market you can check the nutrition info on some of their ingredients to get an idea.

It's really not terribly high calorie for restaurant food, but I tend to get a spike in weight gain on the scale the next day due to the sodium content (if I'm eating it from a restaurant)
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem with Pho a few weeks ago. I think I used a 600 calorie entry as well.