400-500- cals too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Just make sure you don't snack too much and you should be fine.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    400 - 500 is probably not bad but the worst habit would be to eat a majority of your daily calories in one meal. Whatever the body can't process is turned to fat and your metabolism is reduced to compensate for the "period of starvation" during the rest of the day. The best approach is to have multiple "meals" that are spread throughout the day. I also try to align my food intake with the anticipated excercise until the next meal. Medium size meal at breakfast (500 cal) to compensate for not eating at night; large meal before exercise usually lunch (800 cal); a small dinner before bedtime (400 cal); and two 150 cal snacks during the day.
    Don't spread misinformation.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    400 - 500 is probably not bad but the worst habit would be to eat a majority of your daily calories in one meal. Whatever the body can't process is turned to fat and your metabolism is reduced to compensate for the "period of starvation" during the rest of the day. The best approach is to have multiple "meals" that are spread throughout the day. I also try to align my food intake with the anticipated excercise until the next meal. Medium size meal at breakfast (500 cal) to compensate for not eating at night; large meal before exercise usually lunch (800 cal); a small dinner before bedtime (400 cal); and two 150 cal snacks during the day.

This is completely incorrect. Your body can and will process your entire meal, unless you vomit it up or have some other sort of digestive issue. Your metabolism does not slow down to compensate for this period of starvation, in fact evidence shows that it speeds up when you're fasting. Hence all the variations of intermittent fasting that are becoming very popular.

Long story short, eat whatever you feel comfortable with. My meals vary from as little as 600 to as much as 2000 (or more on cheat days). All depends on the day and the context.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Naaah, just eat what you're comfortable with! Sometimes I've had meals that were 1,200 calories. Like people have said, just hit your macros. I'm finding anything less than 700 calories for breakfast, especially on lifting days, leaves me kind of tired. I'm 20 years old, female, and can eat up to 2,400 a day.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    It looks like your calorie goal is set at 2490 (without exercise). I'd recommend around 600/cal if you're eating 3 meals plus 2 snacks around 300 cals each.
    As other posters have mentioned, it doesn't matter when you eat, just as long as it's within your limit. Spacing it out as I suggested (plus hitting your protein goal) may help keep you from getting hungry.
    Good luck
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

No, just no.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My opinion of how many calories should be in a meal depends on a lot of different things. Right now I just base it on how many calories I have left for the day.
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    Ok everybody, thankss so much for the help! Today i have only eaten like 500 cals!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ok everybody, thankss so much for the help! Today i have only eaten like 500 cals!

Well then you have a lot of eating to do before the day is over. Get busy and have a nice big dinner!
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    I guess its also bBAD to eat junk food but as long as it is between my calorie goal?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I guess its also bBAD to eat junk food but as long as it is between my calorie goal?

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. Though I'd recommend eating some protein and veggies in there, too.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your calorie goals are. Mine is 1400 Calories. For me, Breakfast is generally about 200 calories. Lunch is 300, and Dinner is 500-550. I also have a fruit in the morning and after lunch I have 2-3 snacks. I'm pretty much always eating, lol.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I usually have that for breakfast. Sometimes dinner if we go out. As long as I don't go over my net goal it's fine. Sometimes you have bigger meals sometimes you have smaller ones. I don't think that there should be calorie limit per meal as long as you stay at your goal. If you're really worried about it, try splitting your meal.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. Though I'd recommend eating some protein and veggies in there, too.

I don't think it is bad to eat junk food. As long as you fit the food into whatever goals you have then I do not see why there would be a problem with it. Some people don't think any food they consider junk should be eaten though, which is right for them. I am not one of those people, so eating junk food is right for me. Many people can give you many different opinions on that, you will find whatever is right for you.