Quark!

Options
I've recently discovered the german style cheese, quark. I'm loving the flavors but would like to use the plain flavored in some savory dishes that are healthy. Any ideas?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Looks like good stuff. Am hoping walmart will stock it.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Germany and we are quark plain, sweet and savory...... You can use it to make dressing - it's thicker than yogurt or sour cream but it works. We often ate small red potatoes with a side of savory quark: finely chopped onions and chives mixed with quark and some olive oil, vinegar, pepper and salt. I remember that quark with chives or other herbs was sold in packages as well. We used to go to a pub a few towns over that served quark with finely chopped onions and paprika with hard pretzels. I sometimes made it 'tsaitziki' style - quark and Greek yogurt mixed with finely chopped cucumbers, garlic, pepper and salt. You can chop red bell peppers finely and mix in quark, add oil and vinegar to taste. If quark is too thick you can thin it with milk, water or milk substitute or plain yogurt. For sweet add honey and/or nuts, cinnamon and honey or sugar, fruit, jam, cocoa powder and honey.... Whatever you like. Quark is also what German cheesecake is made from. I've used it in baking, potato pancakes
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, plain quark with a little honey on it.
  • lananabanana112
    lananabanana112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    the low fat option (magerquark, i think it's 10% fat only) is usually thick and sticky. mixed with sparkling water it's creamy and fluffy but nonetheless really low fat :) my fav is the one already mentioned: chives, onions, herbs, salt, pepper = kräuterquark, eat it with potatoes, easypeasy and quick to prep!
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    Layer up banana, quark, toffee fat free yogurt and some chocshot for a bannoffee pudding!

Or melt it through some pasta.

Or mix it with garlic and put some in a chicken breast before cooking.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love all the suggestions, thanks! I am going to try some of these soon. Loving my quark right now just plain with some cooked quinoa and a little brown sugar or honey on top.