Sadistic Scales

Options
So I have been trying to reach a little mini-goal of being under 120kgs for quite some time now. Came close pre-Christmas, but, well... then Christmas happened (less said the better), and it's taken me a while to recover.

No matter, just a small blip. Reached 120.0 a week ago. Been joyfully hopping on the scales every morning hoping for the numbers to have slipped under. This is how the week went:-

S 120.0
M 120.0
T 120.0
W 120.0
T 120.0
F 120.0

:/

This morning.... 119.4.

Now, while I did do a little nekkid happy dance (TMI), I couldn't help but ponder why the sudden drop.

I know many of you subscribe to the "whoosh" effect of weightloss, and I will admit I did too, however I have come to a far different conclusion. Just hear me out.

The companies who manufacture the various woo products have for some time been trying to come up with more ways to lure people in to buying their snake oil by making them frustrated with the simple CICO approach. To that end, they have managed to create sentient scales, which they have given a decidedly sadistic personality to, for the sole purpose of taking the piss out of us.

My theory, I believe, has also been slightly proven this week, by the fact that my doctors scales (clearly of the non-sentient, nice variety) tell me that I weigh 2kgs less than the feral ones I have living in my bathroom.

I decided that, while I run the risk of being labelled a crackpot, I should post my theory in hopes of raising awareness of this insidious plot against the weight challenged amongst us.

No need to thank me.

Carry on with your day.

*cough*

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    all scales are different.

mine: 180
    my doctors: 179.5
    my exe's doc: 190
    my best friends: 176

this was in a 3 day period where there was no change in weight at all.....
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm more stunned how your day to day weights are all the same. Maybe your scale is doing that thing where it doesn't change the # it reports if it isn't different by a certain amount?

My last 5 days (in lbs): 189.8, 189.2, 190.2, 190, 190.8
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure that's it. Your scale hates you. Mine loves me (at least right now).
    Maybe it wants new batteries? Or to be rebalanced? Maybe you're just not showing your scale the kind of love and attention that it's craving? Are you spending adequate quality time with it, or do you just hop and expect it to do it's job? When was the last time you gave a good rub-down with a Clorox wipe? Or checked it's little rubber feet for wear and tear? If you love it enough, maybe it will love you back. ;)
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I knew it!!!
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Dude. I weighed myself last week when embarking on this little journey and was pleased that I wasn't quite as heavy as I thought I was. Eight days of intake restriction and increased exercise later: 12 pounds heavier. I totally blame the scale. It lulled me into confidence and then sucker punched me when my will was at its weakest. Jerk.
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think my scale is obsessed, it see's me coming and ups the numbers. B)