Chin ups or pull ups?

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5; still a beginner. I would like to add some of the assistive exercises into my routine, but I don't want to add too much too soon. I'd like to add either chin-ups or pull-ups, but not both yet. My goal is to strengthen and add definition in my triceps. Should I add chin-ups? Or pull-ups?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Neither of those exercises work your triceps.

But realistically they are similar movements so either/or/both would probably fine. Alternate them week to week is another option. Chin-ups are generally easier and you'll get more bicep activation out of them so that may be a factor as well, especially if you aren't particularly adept at knocking out lots of them yet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well, I was going to ask why not both.....but then we started talking about triceps? As Dope points out, those aren't triceps exercises
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about that. I'll add dips (probably starting with negatives) for triceps, and try pull-ups (probably negatives to start with those as well) and work up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They are very similar but chin ups tend to be slightly easier for most people.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    chin ups are easier because they involve more musculature. so if you are just learning, start with those until you can do a few reps.

once you can do both, train both!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Different muscles, so do both.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    For triceps you could also add in diamond push-ups/close width push-ups.