Am I doing it right? Lower abdominals

Options
So working on targeting my lower abs and I'm sore but only in my glutes and upper abs. And they're sore. Does that mean I'm not doing it right or is it just going to take time before I feel it in the lower abs..anyone know?

Any suggestions to get that section really burning fat and building muscle?

FYI: have lost 40 pounds and trying to lose another 30/40. A lot of my weight sits in my stomach, love handles and upper thighs. Active 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• arenae3
    arenae3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lower abdominals are definitely the most difficult to define. V-Ups are a great excessive to incorporate in your ab training as well as going on an inclined run.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as lower abdominal muscles, the rectus abdominis, which comprises the entire "6 pack" or "8 pack" is a single muscle that originates on the pelvis and inserts on the ribs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You didn't even tell us what exercise you're doing, let alone post a video...so we can't tell you if you're doing it right.

With fat to lose still, ab work will not help you spot reduce it around your abdominals.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You'll lose that fat through calorie defect, not through working out the muscles underneath.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    also, soreness is not really a good indicator of whether you effectively worked out a specific muscle or not. you can't really target "lower abs" because they don't exist. finally, targeting a specific muscle won't help your body burn fat in that area; the only thing you can do is eat less to reduce overall fat.

what ab exercises are you doing, and how is your technique?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    there is no such thing as lower abdominal muscles, the rectus abdominis, which comprises the entire "6 pack" or "8 pack" is a single muscle that originates on the pelvis and inserts on the ribs.

This is accurate. You cannot target the lower abs and targeting them won't burn the fat from them. Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • frankerzzzfit
    frankerzzzfit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ah very very helpful thank you all.

Exercises include: planks, squat thrusts, push ups, crunches, full situps, side planks, squats, lunges, leg lifts

Ok, I will continue to focus on the calorie deficit which is what I have been working on. Right now I am on a 1400 cal plan and usually try to get a 200-500 cal deficit with different cardio exercises (running, swimming, bodycombat class).

I was trying to enhance my muscle strength by adding these core workouts and was just wondering. Thank you for your advice and information. Below is my journey so far. Mostly been loosing the inches in my face, neck, arms, and some in my legs and stomach. Just not as apparent.

d1tzu6nhgzbp.jpg
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats! What a difference a year can make!