Coping with Fat During Bulk

2»

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Another thing to consider, is changing your routines. If you do the same routine every time, your body will stop responding. I feel it's a very overlooked aspect.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Another thing to consider, is changing your routines. If you do the same routine every time, your body will stop responding. I feel it's a very overlooked aspect.

As I responded in the other thread, the "muscle confusion theory" was debunked a long time ago. Most people hop from routine to routine far too often rather than sticking with a routine and progressing in weights/reps. Put more weight on the bar and you'll keep growing/getting stronger. There is a point where you'll plateau, but most people bounce around and change everything up long before that happens.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

Definitely something very helpful. I try to focus on muscle confusion and not do the same work out 2 sessions in a row. For example, if I do my pliet/sumo/side squat circuit on Tuesday, when Thursday leg day comes around I'll focus on something different. I try to incorporate a totally new work out each time as well. At first, I let myself get down when I couldn't fit *every* exercise into one session and then I realized it was actually better that way.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    ALSO...side note...I definitely was just bloated due to girl issues...so this thread is moderately irrelevant - sorry!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    edited February 2016

Definitely something very helpful. I try to focus on muscle confusion and not do the same work out 2 sessions in a row. For example, if I do my pliet/sumo/side squat circuit on Tuesday, when Thursday leg day comes around I'll focus on something different. I try to incorporate a totally new work out each time as well. At first, I let myself get down when I couldn't fit *every* exercise into one session and then I realized it was actually better that way.
    Muscle confusion is a myth. Variety is fine, but to get a muscle better at something, you focus on the repetition of doing it over several times. Personally I don't change my program but on a month to month basis.
    For example if you were in gymnastics, you just don't do backflips one week and then do it again 3 or 4 weeks later and expect to see significant improvement.
    You want to build muscle, then look more to a high volume (16 sets per body part) programs with reps in the 8-12 range. I still do this today, but only train each muscle once a week. When I was younger I could do it twice a week as long as I recovered.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• e_bound
    e_bound Posts: 4 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    viren19890 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Usually 12 weeks should do it-as long as you are below 20% bf -now this is a very vague estimate.

Depending -it could take longer or even shorter depending on various factor.

Like above poster said- are you really even bulking?

How about eating clean but caloric dense food which would increase calorie intake with less fat to worry about?

My maintenance level is 1350 - I went from 104 lbs. to 114 lbs. in 6 months. I eat clean on a daily basis and have a protein goal of 114 grams with a sugar goal of 25-40 grams. So I keep all the crap food to a minimum. I've gained an inch on my booty, but hoping to gain two more by summer. Just need to step it up with the leg days and get more variation, which I am trying to do each and every session. Recently opted away from hypertrophic training and am doing 5-7 reps (4 sets) of the highest weight I can handle. Trying to bulk as quickly as possible while still staying healthy.

If you are trying to bulk on muscle, a hypertrophy program would be what you really want...and you should really do some kind of established program for best results.

Yeah, you'll put on some bulk doing a strength program...but it's far more efficient to do a hypertrophy program...given that's what a hypertrophy program is designed for.

for a drug free lifter -the best thing to do is lift heavy that's it. No need to go into hypertrophy and all that.

Just do the major lifts Deadlifts, Squats, bench, dips, pull ups -that's it. Lift heavy - it'll bring strength and size.

Where are you getting your info?!

For real dude.