Mindset changes before, during, and after losing

Options
Hola MFPs. I've been losing weight for about 3.5 months and I've lost 27 of 86ish lbs. I've been thinking a lot during this process about my mindset. Not just about my approach to food, but also about how I feel about myself in general. I'm curious about what everyone's process is/has been, and I'm especially interested to learn about mindset changes after weight loss.

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Prior to me realizing that I needed to lose weight, food was a cure for boredom, it was paired with tv and movies, it was a treat, it was an activity. It was also money and I could not see it go to waste, so I would finish it even if it meant overstuffing myself.
    I've still got a long way to go, (lost ~14 of at least 54lbs in a month) but about a week into my decision, and change, I heard someone say "Food is fuel.". That really clicked something for me. Made me realize I don't need to finish everything. I don't need to stuff myself. Cause extra "fuel" is just gonna spill over and become fat, and that doesn't help anyone. The money doesn't magically reappear.
    That's the biggest idea that's helped me change my perspective on eating.
    I still go out to eat once in a while, but I choose my meal carefully. But now going out to eat is more about people and getting out of the house than it is about the food.

There are a few "short term" reasons I want to lose weight, and I really hope that once I'm at my goal I don't lose focus.

I definitely feel better about myself because I'm making an intentional effort to take care of myself and do what's best for my future. And the increase in exercise has certainly helped as now I don't feel so lazy.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I felt ugly and gross before I started losing. Like, "how could my husband still find me attractive" gross. Then I started losing and little by little, I gained more confidence. I got within 10 pounds of my initial goal and felt on top of the world. Then, I fell off the wagon a bit and gained half my weight back. I felt mostly angry with myself for letting it happen, but I didn't go back to feeling how I did at the very beginning. Now that I'm chipping away at the damage I did with my diet, it's a different mindset than when I was just beginning. I realize I still have work to do, but I'm in no rush to get to any certain weight like I was in the beginning.