Body fat % and weight loss

I'm 5'2", 197lbs. I have a hand held device that measures body fat percentage, and it has me at 39.5%.

I would like to get to about 19-20% body fat, but I'm not sure what that would translate to in actual weight lost. I am also lifting, and want to get into powerlifting, so I'm sure that will affect things.

I've always been on the heavier side of my BMI range, and the past 2 doctors I've seen have said BMI wouldn't be a good tool for me to use, saying I am "dense" for my size.

Can anyone shed some light on this, along with a reasonable goal weight to expect?

Replies

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would totally ignore "BMI" and focus on body fat %. Keep lifting heavy (be it 3-5x week), eat at a sensible deficit and get enough protein/dietary fat.

No one will be able to give you a "goal weight" because they don't know your training/nutrition or your body for that matter. But...if I had to guess, I'd say you have a good 50-60 lbs + to lose

But rest assured, if you lift heavy all the way down, you will like what you see in the mirror.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Let's not overcomplicate this. You need to lose a fair amount of weight to get into a healthy range by any means you choose to measure. Start eating in a calorie deficit while incorporating the moderate form of exercise of your choice 3-5 days per week. Lose weight in this manner and BMI and BF% (along with several of your labs) will take care of themselves
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    edited February 2016
    I already like what I see in the mirror, I'm just liking it more since I've been lifting. :-)

I had one doc tell me to shoot for 110lbs and another tell me to shoot for no less than 140. I carry most of my weight in my thighs, Chest, hips and upper arms.

I lift heavy and do cardio 4-5 times a week. I try to eat between 1400 and 1800 calories per day, as I also have a very active job. I'm not losing weight, really, but I have lost inches in my waist and I'm starting to tone up. Maybe I can figure out how to post a picture...

Here. These are progress pics, and my weight has fluctuated from 195, but yeah...

wjbbe7c7i6wv.jpeg
    lb69t07skhp9.jpeg
    k01xmah2lptf.jpeg
  • bunnerfly
    DavPul wrote: »
    Let's not overcomplicate this. You need to lose a fair amount of weight to get into a healthy range by any means you choose to measure. Start eating in a calorie deficit while incorporating the moderate form of exercise of your choice 3-5 days per week. Lose weight in this manner and BMI and BF% (along with several of your labs) will take care of themselves

The only labs I have that are out of a healthy range are related to PCOS.

I was only asking because I wasn't sure of A weight goal to shoot for.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I'm your height. My first goal was to shoot for 150 lbs. When I got there, I still had too high a body fat %, so I went down to 125.

I would recommend something similar. Have a moderate target, and reassess when you get to that point.
  • dlbush85
    dlbush85 Posts: 2 Member
    I think that 7 lbs in a month is great progress! Keep up the great work!
  • bunnerfly
    I'm your height. My first goal was to shoot for 150 lbs. When I got there, I still had too high a body fat %, so I went down to 125.

I would recommend something similar. Have a moderate target, and reassess when you get to that point.

EEEEEEE!!!! Doctor Who fan here, too!!

Anyway, back to the subject, I think that's a good idea. I was at 149-150lbs about 5 years ago, and wanted to lose about 20-25lbs then. Then, (due to divorce) I lost my health insurance, and had to go off the meds controlling my PCOS. I put on 55lbs in 2 years despite being more active. It was like my metabolism just shut down. :-( I began working out more and restricting more, and ended up blowing my ACL. All that put me where I am today. Now, however, I'm back on my meds, and I'm 8 months out from ACL replacement.

I want to be muscular and fit. I'm beyond ready.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I would say aim for the 140. When you get there, if you're happy you can stay there. If not, it will probably be a lot easier to have an idea of how much you still want to lose, and you can either update your goal or transition into maintenance.

Awesome job so far, good luck!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I'm 5'.5" and 120, so midway between the two goals you mentioned. My body fat % is probably in the higher 20%, as I have a bust, and still some slight fat in upper arms and hips. At 110, I probably would have no curves or muscle definition. Like you, I'm short, but larger framed.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Too many carbs, for sure. Get them under 100 grams/day.