Don't Ever Say You're Fat

Options
Blackdawn_70631
Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
Don't ever think you're too fat.
I grew up a tomboy because I never played with the girls because they didn't like me because I was so big. So I always played with the boys.
Even in school, I had no friends and weren't even picked on by the bullies. Which years later I discovered even the bullies were scared of me. Not that I was mean. I was very quiet and shy. But I was finally told that nobody spoke to me because they felt if they said something wrong that I would beat them up. And here's me never ever gotten into a fight, or even a verbal fight.
Then as a preteen, standing at 5' 4", I had to stop rough housing with my dad because I got to rough and actually man handled my dad. Then had to stop with my brother as well because I ended up giving him bloody noses by accident.
I'm larger than my family by now.
At 17 I was 5' 7" and 119 pounds wearing a size 9 in women's. That's about a 28 inch waist at only 119 pounds.
Many people have told me that number is impossible, but it isn't. Not for me.
At 17 I had to shop in men's clothes because I didn't know wear to shop in women's and junior's had become baby clothes for me.
At 119 pounds, I also wore a size large in women's. Medium couldn't do because it was a tad to small.
And at 17 when my mom went suit shopping for my brother had used me as the dummy. The rules was, if it fit me just fine, then it was too big for my brother. If it was snug, it would fit him just fine. The right length for me on the legs and it was too long for him.
Now, at 33, at 5' 7", I weight 162 pounds and wear a size 14. At 200 pounds I still wore a size 14. I have a 31" waist, with 43&1\2" hips.
So don't ever think you're fat, even after weight loss. Cause you can be like me.
My goal, isn't to be skinny. Isn't to weigh a certain number. It isn't to fit into a certain jean size, or get my body fat percentage to a certain number.
My goal is simple. It is to be Thick, Fit and Healthy.
And at 162 lbs wearing a size 14, my doctor says I am very healthy.

Replies

• PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am fat. So what? It's just an adjective to describe me. There are many adjectives to describe me.

Why don't we stop treating the word fat like it has to come with a side of shame and a cup of self loathing. Some of us are here to loose weight, sure. But that doesn't mean we need to break each other down in the process.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was too fat to be healthy at 180lbs at 5'4". I was in pain all the time, out of breath, unfit, couldn't wear non-stretchy clothes. I am 10 lbs away from not being overweight anymore. When I reach a healthy bmi I'm not going to say I'm still fat. But it isn't about clothing size for me either. I could care less what the size is on my pants as long as they fit well. I was just thrilled to wear pants with a zipper again.
    You are just a couple of pounds above the normal weight range for your height. So, yeah, you are likely pretty healthy and fine the way you are. Great job getting there!
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Should have rephrased this some.
    Directed more towards the people in their healthy range, or close, or below, and yet still think they're fat.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Your OP came across differently but I see your point. When I was a teenager I thought I was fat. Looking back at pics I wasn't. I was muscular. But I didn't know better and thanks to anxiety, depression and low self esteem I believed I was because people said I was. Other kids in school were unkind and my own family made comments that I did not realise at the time were directed to my having developed a rather large chest. Eventually it became truth because I used food to self soothe.

Now I really am fat. I had to accept and acknowledge that truth before I was able to start to address it.

So saying you are fat is perfectly fine if you are fat. However I think we do need to really pay attention to helping women and young girls to have a better view of their bodies and have some self esteem and respect. Rather than trying to meet some ideal of beauty held out by society and fashion we really need to be taught to focus on being the best we can personally be. It should not be about how much you weigh or how you look. It should be about being healthy and having a happy life.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying too. I am pretty sure that the (incorrect) belief I had from the time I was 12 onward that I was fat contributed greatly to my lackadaisical attitude toward monitoring my weight. I mean, I was fat, so what was the point? I wore clothes that were WAY too big, clothes so big that in some cases I had them a whole 100 lbs larger! I tried to hide my body in large, loose things, and I looked in the mirror and said "I'm bigger than all the other women, that's just life". Even at my thinnest, when I had disordered eating and visible ribs and vertebrae, I believed I was too thick compared to every other woman I saw (it did not help that I lived in the Los Angeles area...) How I wish I saw then what I see in the pictures now!