Heavy cream.

Options
I've been considering adding heavy cream to my morning smoothies to put on some weight. What do you guys think? About 8 onces...which is about 800 cals alone

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    naj1991 wrote: »
    I've been considering adding heavy cream to my morning smoothies to put on some weight. What do you guys think? About 8 onces...which is about 800 cals alone

If you can stomach it, why not? Anything that will put you into a reasonable calorie surplus.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can use whole fat milk instead... I don't know the macros for heavy cream but I would be worried they are too skewed to one macronutrient instead of being more well-rounded.

A shake with whole fat milk, 1 scoop of protein, a banana, and some olive oil if you want extra calories is solid and calorically dense enough already! Olive oil is 120cals per tbsp, so use at your discretion.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it. I have a half cup of heavy cream for breakfast sometimes because if I do I won't think about food for the next 24 hours. So it could be counterproductive for weight gain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I compared milks and heavy cream does stand out in a number of areas.

Comparing Milks

The vitamin A content can't be beat.

I'd say it's a great way to increase your calories with relatively low volume.
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was able to put on 5 pounds pretty quickly doing it
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    What... why add so much? Maybe add just a 1/4 cup. Since it's a daily thing.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I used to use half and half in my diet shakes, but then found out that evaporated milk has more calories. So now I use 8 oz evaporated milk, 2 tbs peanut butter, 2 tbs olive oil, and whey protein powder, and up to half a cup of whole milk to thin it out a bit. 350 calories per cup, and it makes 3 cups. It's not too thick, becaue it goes through my feeding tube pump just fine, and I don't feel like I put cement in my tummy when I'm done

Have no idea how it tastes, because I put it through my pump-tube while I take my afternoon nap.... eat while I sleep, gotta love it! LOL
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've done it. My advice would be to start with a smaller amount though. I love cream and butter, but there is a limit to how much I can stomach in a smoothie. Heavy cream is our high-calorie friend! Go for it!
  • naj1991
    Options

I want to gain pretty quickly. not unhealthy quick, but about 3 pounds a week. I have a hard time gaining
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I want to gain pretty quickly. not unhealthy quick, but about 3 pounds a week. I have a hard time gaining

3lbs a week is a horrendously fast rate of gain. 0.5-1lbs a week is sensible.
  • naj1991
    edited October 2016
    Options

I was told by my doctor that 2 pounds a week was okay too, i was 106 and 5'4 for a long time before i put in effort to gain. I am now around 128 and 5'4, but i would like to be closer to 140 by December
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

I was told by my doctor that 2 pounds a week was okay too, i was 106 and 5'4 for a long time before i put in effort to gain. I am now around 128 and 5'4, but i would like to be closer to 140 by December

If your doctor told you that then I am not going to disagree. I will say that 2lbs a week is likely to be mainly fat with minimal muscle. If you have gained 22lbs of fat that would be a red flag to me.
  • naj1991
    Options

If your doctor told you that then I am not going to disagree. I will say that 2lbs a week is likely to be mainly fat with minimal muscle. If you have gained 22lbs of fat that would be a red flag to me.

Ive gained some muscle as well. Once i got to about 115 I begin lifting weights regularly. (this has been over the course of 4+ years) My initial gain from 106 to 115 was in around 3 months, then i gained from 115 to 128 over about 3 years. My original goal was 130, but as I get closer to it I still feel really small (looks wise) and I would like to be bigger. I get check ups regularly and I am healthy, but to be honest I want a bit more fat on my body...esp as a female.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is a horrible idea as 90% of that is going to be straight fat gain ...

why not a pound per week coupled with a progressive lifting regimen...?
  • naj1991
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Ive been lifting, for 3 years while gaining. I want a bit more fat on me.. from 128 to 140 at 5'4 with some muscle and fat gains... more fat than muscle at this point
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Ive been lifting, for 3 years while gaining. I want a bit more fat on me.. from 128 to 140 at 5'4 with some muscle and fat gains... more fat than muscle at this point

OK - but the majority of your gains are going to be fat...
  • naj1991
    Options

OK - but the majority of your gains are going to be fat...

and thats fine with me. I want to be bigger..i.been a twig my whole life.