Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey everyone,

Does anyone use the Smart Health WR50M monitor? I just bought it today and I am wondering how accurate the readings are. The calorie calculations and pedometer both seem to be a bit off to me. I plan to go to the gym tomorrow and test it's calorie counter while I'm on the treadmill.

Or can anyone with a heart rate monitor tell me if its normal to see it saying you burn about 1 calorie per minute, even while sitting still?

Hope to hear from you all, this thing may be going back to CVS tomorrow!

Krys

Replies

• SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I believe most of us burn about a calorie a minute...if I break down my BMR to the minute

1450 calories / 24 hours = 60.4 calories per hour.

When I use my HRM (Polar FT7) I usually subtract my BMR calories from my overall burned calories to calculate the actual workout burn.

:flowerforyou:

Edit: I don't use a pedometer so can't help you there...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Any HRM is going to be way off if you're just sitting still. It's not your actual HR that determines the estimated calorie burn...the HR is just used in a formula that also assumes that you are performing a steady state cardio event...anything else, and it's going to be wildly off.

Just as an example, when I first got mine and didn't know any of this stuff, I wore mine all day and it said I burned like 6,000 calories...no way wasn't even working out.

That said, I burn over 1 calorie per minute at rest. Your body burns up most of your caloric intake at rest. I burn around 1.25 calories per minute at rest...like sleeping and not moving a muscle kind of rest. My body burns roughly 1800 calories at rest which is roughly 70% of my daily caloric intake to maintain. This is called your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)...the calories your body uses just to be alive and the blood pumpin' and the lungs working, etc.