BEETS?

2»

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Borscht!

Peeled beats, beet greens, carrots, onion, other leftover veggies, stock or stock cubes....pressure cooker, immersion blender....the chopped dill and if necessary lemon juice to sour a bit. Serve with sour cream. Yummy vegetarian soup. Can add a can of beans (or soak you own) or lentils for more protein.

My Baba would probably roll in her grave about the immersion blender....but we prefer it that way...fusion tradition!

You could make it with meat and a meat stock as well...we had always used pork bones to make a stock. Wouldn't purée it if using meat...bit would shred the veggies...a more chunky soup.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Otherwise, cut tops off, wash and then roast in the skin (put in tinfoil...I don't add anything) . The flavour intensifies. I then will slice as a side for dinner...leftovers are made into salads...last one was a green chickpea (could use edamame), beet and feta with a simple basalmic dressing.
  • dayhiker1990
    dayhiker1990 Posts: 4 Member
    I cut the tops off, put them in foil and use a little olive oil and salt. Roast in oven @ 375 for 40 mins. Very Yummy! I eat them on spinach salads with some goat cheese.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    everytime i buy beets i never eat them (maybe im scarred from canned beets) but will try what everyone said! thanks!
  • melstampz
    melstampz Posts: 28 Member
    For all you beet roasters, have you ever added a little vinegar? It may surprise you. :)
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Grated in salad with other veges (carrot, zucchini) or just on their own, with a simple balsamic dressing, maybe with some toasted pumpkin seeds or walnuts & some feta cheese. I also put them in smoothies - yum! Tasty and lots of fibre. Not sure if anyone has mentioned but don't be alarmed if what comes out the other end is beetroot coloured!!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Sliced, oven roasted for crisps, grated to make veggie burgers (normally with parsnip and sweet potato )
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I spiralize them and sauté in olive oil til soft then add some red wine vinegar when I eat them. I crave beets....just bought more today!
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    law102189 wrote: »
    I love to peel whole beets, cut them in half, sprinkle a tiny bit of EVOO and sea salt and roast them in the oven until soft and slightly browned.

This is exactly what I do. Have them as a side or add to a cold salad.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    All of the above
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Also - try other varieties of beets - I like golden beets