Can't get enough calories

Options
I totally suck at this whole healthy eating thing. I come from a background of sugar addiction and only really eating one meal per day. I have a friend helping me with my macros and I have a protein / fat/ carb ratio of 50%/25% / 25% and a calorie goal of 1700cal (7113kj). I currently weight 115.9kg (256lb). I have cut right down on sugar and am under goal for that 6 days out of 7 but my problem is getting my calories up. Most days i only manage between 1050-1350. I'm eating 3-5 times a day. I'm having a protein supplement before and after the gym and also a greens supplement. I still manage to just go over my fat ratio and sometimes my carbs ratio.

I just don't know what to eat and i suppose im just looking for some general tips. I have my diary open to friends so feel free to add me if you want to see the breakdown of what im eating. My main goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You could start adding foods with high calories but low density in your stomach (nuts, avocado etc) if you find that you have been getting too full to eat your full calorie allotment. But that might be a challenge with your macros because these foods are higher in fat
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    First, realize that at this point meeting your calorie goal is far more important than your macro goal. Don't worry about going over on your macros. For example, you mention fat, well eating fat will not make you fat. There are a lot of bodily functions that require fat including hormone production. At this point, worry about calories.

In terms of calories there are two possibilities:

1) You may actually eating more than you think you are because of how you measure your food. If you are using measuring cups and spoons for all things, or just eyeballing your serving sizes, chances are you are going to be eating more than you expect. Using a digital kitchen scale for all solids including those that are chopped or ground up, will give much more accurate measures of how much you are eating. Measuring cups and spoons are fine for liquids.

2) You may be eating too many foods that a low calorie thinking that they are "healthy". With that, you may be eating foods that are quite filling. Protein tends to keep a person feeling full longer. Not that eating protein is bad, it is good, but you need to mix in some foods with higher calories. Don't be afraid of calorie dense foods that you might like. Just eat them mixed with veggies that have lots of fiber, and with protein. This will allow you to increase your calories.

The way I started out was just eating the same things I did before, but at far smaller portions, staying within my calorie goal. Over time I came to see what did and did not fill me up, and started to switch foods for things with more fiber and more protein.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The ratio doesn't matter that much if you are loosing weigh, and it just may not be for you. Eating fat helps you feel full and satisfied. To make my calorie goals, I may add a tablespoon of olive oil or butter somewhere.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose that much protein? I've been losing nicely with the MFP default of 50%C-20%P-30%F. That works with my way of eating.

As stated by a poster above, the most important part for weight loss is calories. Get enough but not too much.

Log your food as accurately as you can. Weigh solid foods and use measuring cups/spoons for liquids.

It can be hard when you start a new weight loss plan to get enough calories because you are changing so many things at once and you aren't used to this way of eating. Once you settle into things, it will get easier.

I changed small things so that I'm eating basically the same foods I was before but in smaller portions and with some better alternatives. Only eat foods you like and don't eat foods you don't like.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You'll need to reduce carbs. 50% is way too high for you. Try 30/25/45.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys for the tips. I will concentrate on calories and not so much on the others for now. My weight loss has stalled a bit but i think that may also be due to me starting at the gym and put on some muscle. I will pay more attention to weighing things and see how I go
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your macros to eat less protein and more fat. It is easy to increase fat calories: nuts, full fat yogurt, mayonnaise, butter, chia and flax seeds, butter, dark meat chicken, hamburger, cheese, eggs, peanut butter, sausage.
    Use a food scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

Amen.