does this sound right??

Options
Here are a few examples, if you do not mind looking over..

Ex #1 If my daily calorie intake is 2200 and I eat 1800, burn 200-500 calories by exercise, would I be able to lose 1lb a week?

Ex #2 If my daily calorie intake is 2200 and I eat 2000 calories, burn 300-500 calories a day, would I be able to lose 1lb a week?

Thanks!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should be eating all of the MFP recommended calorie goal for the sake of nutrition, energy& health.
  • DeathByCheesecake116
    Options
    Some of their goals are ridiculous...I am left feeling insanely hungry and I want to do what's right. I'm not asking if thats what I should do..I'm asking would those facts add up to me losing a lb a week.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by daily calorie intake? How can it be different from what you eat? E.g., first example, daily calorie intake is 2200 but you eat 1800 ???? Are you drinking the other 400 calories? I really don't understand what you're trying to say. Do you mean 2200 is your TDEE? The amount MFP estimates you burn exclusive of exercise? The calorie goal MFP set for you?
  • DeathByCheesecake116
    Options
    No I mean, how many calories I am supposed to eat when I'm maintaining weight. Have you never heard of a daily calorie intake? Its the amount you eat per day. I'm saying if that's the amount I'm supposed to eat, but I reduce to 1800 or 2000 plus exercise would I lose 1 lb a week?
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In order to lose one pound per week you need a deficit of 3500 calories. So, yes, if your daily maintenance is 2200 and you eat 1800 that's 400 deficit. Plus 200 exercise calories you're at 600 calories per day deficit.
  • DeathByCheesecake116
    Options
    In order to lose one pound per week you need a deficit of 3500 calories. So, yes, if your daily maintenance is 2200 and you eat 1800 that's 400 deficit. Plus 200 exercise calories you're at 600 calories per day deficit.
    Thank you! This is the answer I have been looking for. How about 2000 calories and I burn 500 a day? I'm guessing it's the same?

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    to lose 1lbs a week you should eat 3500 calories less than what your maintaining level is.

95069916.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    No I mean, how many calories I am supposed to eat when I'm maintaining weight. Have you never heard of a daily calorie intake? Its the amount you eat per day. I'm saying if that's the amount I'm supposed to eat, but I reduce to 1800 or 2000 plus exercise would I lose 1 lb a week?

Yes, I have heard of daily calorie intake. And yes, it means the amount you eat per day. Your statement again conflates "the amount I am supposed to eat when I'm maintaining weight," "the amount you eat per day" (which can be very different from your maintenance amount), and "the amount I'm supposed to eat" (for what purpose? That's just meaninglessly vague). Assuming that you mean 2200 is your maintenance without exercise, and you eat 2000 (a 200 calorie deficit), you would need to burn an additional 300 calories daily from exercise to reach a 500 calorie a day deficit, which theoretically should generate a loss of 1 lb a week.

Where are you getting that daily maintenance number from? Is it MFP (in which case it wouldn't account for exercise outside of normal daily activities)? Or is it from a TDEE calculator somewhere else on line, in which case it would account for exercise, and you shouldn't double count your exercise burns. Your avatar photo looks like a very petite person, so I'm thinking 2200 seems more like a TDEE--you haven't given your stats, though, so I'm only raising that as something you need to be sure you're doing correctly.
    How about 2000 calories and I burn 500 a day? I'm guessing it's the same?[\quote]

Is your maintenance without exercise still 2200 in this example? That's a 200 calorie deficit, and adding an additional 500 calorie exercise burn would theoretically generate close to 1.5 lbs loss per week.

It doesn't matter whether your deficit is generated by eating less or exercising more. It probably would help you to think about it in terms of totally energy expended each day. For the purposes of achieving an energy balance and gaining, maintaining, or losing weight, your body doesn't compartmentalize and treat energy demands for swimming laps differently from the energy demands to get out of bed and get dressed or differently from the energy demands of keeping your basis.

To use your example (or at least what I understand your example to mean), if you burn 2200 from basic bodily functions and normal daily activity, you could eat 2500 calories a day, burn 800 calories from a couple of hours of moderate to intense cardio activity, and still lose a pound a week.
  • DeathByCheesecake116
    Options

Yes, I have heard of daily calorie intake. And yes, it means the amount you eat per day. Your statement again conflates "the amount I am supposed to eat when I'm maintaining weight," "the amount you eat per day" (which can be very different from your maintenance amount), and "the amount I'm supposed to eat" (for what purpose? That's just meaninglessly vague). Assuming that you mean 2200 is your maintenance without exercise, and you eat 2000 (a 200 calorie deficit), you would need to burn an additional 300 calories daily from exercise to reach a 500 calorie a day deficit, which theoretically should generate a loss of 1 lb a week.

Where are you getting that daily maintenance number from? Is it MFP (in which case it wouldn't account for exercise outside of normal daily activities)? Or is it from a TDEE calculator somewhere else on line, in which case it would account for exercise, and you shouldn't double count your exercise burns. Your avatar photo looks like a very petite person, so I'm thinking 2200 seems more like a TDEE--you haven't given your stats, though, so I'm only raising that as something you need to be sure you're doing correctly.
    How about 2000 calories and I burn 500 a day? I'm guessing it's the same?[\quote]

Is your maintenance without exercise still 2200 in this example? That's a 200 calorie deficit, and adding an additional 500 calorie exercise burn would theoretically generate close to 1.5 lbs loss per week.

It doesn't matter whether your deficit is generated by eating less or exercising more. It probably would help you to think about it in terms of totally energy expended each day. For the purposes of achieving an energy balance and gaining, maintaining, or losing weight, your body doesn't compartmentalize and treat energy demands for swimming laps differently from the energy demands to get out of bed and get dressed or differently from the energy demands of keeping your basis.

To use your example (or at least what I understand your example to mean), if you burn 2200 from basic bodily functions and normal daily activity, you could eat 2500 calories a day, burn 800 calories from a couple of hours of moderate to intense cardio activity, and still lose a pound a week.

Thank you. I am getting my information from a nutritionist I contacted once.