How does MFP auto calculate calories burned in my workout?

Options
I just joined a gym for the first time in my life and I run for 30 minutes on the elliptical. I haven't figured out how to get the elliptical to show me the calories burned but I feel like the generic number I get from entering my workout on MFP is not accurate. Shouldn't speed or heart rate or distance factor in? For instance, if I do 2 miles in 30 minutes one day, and 6 miles in 30 minutes the next, calories couldn't possibly be the same... Any suggestions on how to better calculate the calories? Ya know, until I figure out how to work the elliptical lol. TIA for reading.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So MFP uses a standardised table of factoring data called Metabolic Equivalent Tables to determine calorie expenditure. As METs are based on stable research that can be useful, although the tables do go beyond realistic. Some exercises are easier to get stable forecasts for than others. Elliptical is one of the ones where a reliable factoring value is challenging.

In principle calorie expenditure is a function of body mass and distance, but an elliptical isn't real distance hence the challenge. For running out walking it's relatively reliable.

Subject to how you're training a heart rate monitor may help. That's assuming you maintain a consistent exertion level throughout. If you change your place a lot then you'll get an overestimation from HR.

The main message is to use a method consistently, then test against progress after a few weeks and adjust as required.

Others will advocate reducing the figure by an arbitrary amount, but that's as prone to error as anything else.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me, the MFP values are about double the amount of calories I expend in reality. This is just from trial and error, and I'm sure could be different for different people.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Most online activity calculators use the published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs) values that provide an estimate for Calories burned per minute, which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual based on your level of intensity. MFP generally uses the 2011 METs values compiled in the Compendium of Physical Activities; although they have not included all of these in the pre-loaded list.​

The METs values in the Compendium and MFP include your BMR (METs = 1.0), so if you don't want to go to the trouble of subtracting out the amount of Calories you burn from your BMR, it is better to reduce the amount of time logged or only eat back a portion of the earned Calories. This is one of the reasons why some people recommend to eat back only about 50-75% of the estimated Calories if you log the entire amount of time.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    I have found that for me, the MFP values are about double the amount of calories I expend in reality. This is just from trial and error, and I'm sure could be different for different people.

Bummer...I thought I could be burning more
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Most online activity calculators use the published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs) values that provide an estimate for Calories burned per minute, which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual based on your level of intensity. MFP generally uses the 2011 METs values compiled in the Compendium of Physical Activities; although they have not included all of these in the pre-loaded list.​

The METs values in the Compendium and MFP include your BMR (METs = 1.0), so if you don't want to go to the trouble of subtracting out the amount of Calories you burn from your BMR, it is better to reduce the amount of time logged or only eat back a portion of the earned Calories. This is one of the reasons why some people recommend to eat back only about 50-75% of the estimated Calories if you log the entire amount of time.

Thank you