Contrave

Options
I've read some posts with folks asking why you take a diet pill, that good eating and exercise will let you lose weight. Sure, for a normal person that doesn't have eating addictions. Some people are stress eaters, emotional eaters, binge eaters. Contrave works great for those people. It's a tool to help you make better, healthier choices. Those that don't have such a diagnosis really don't understand it. Why we do it, we know we need help, just like an alcoholic or drug addict needs their fix, food addicts need theirs. This drug helps you get over that addiction. Naltrexone is what they give to addicts to stop the cravings. If you told a drug addict to stop and be healthier and work out, do you think he or she will just do it? No , they need help. Food addicts need that help too. :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Comparing a drug addiction to over eating usually doesn't play out well here.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. NO. You did not just compare people who eat too much with drug addicts.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I won't list my diagnosis here, but stress eating, binge eating and emotional eating is all something I have done in the past. My Dr prescribed Belviq to help me lose weight, I got a new Dr. Taking a diet pill will not teach me how to deal with food. I have to do that one my own. Taking a diet pill for over eating is like taking an aspirin for a toothache. The toothache will still be there after the aspirin wears off. It just masks the symptoms for a bit. Same with a diet pill. I have worked to notice the triggers and learned how to cope with my emotions other ways. If I was on a medication that masked the symptoms, I would have not been able to do this.

My sister decided to take the Belviq to help her lose weight. She lost quite a bit of weight. She had to go off of it when it was becoming less effective. Now she weighs more than she did before the Belviq and is trying another diet pill prescribed by her Dr.