Athletes- is this true?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Macro percentages are horrible IMHO - setting minimum goals for protein and fat and then filling the rest of your calorie allowance however suits you on the day is far more flexible.
    Carbs are an endurance athlete's friend!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I can't have my cake and eat it too, but can still get by with small deficits.

BTW she also said 30-50% should come from carbs, 25-35% from protein, and 25-35% from fat. I seems like way too many carbs to me.

I'd be willing to bet if you looked at most runners, triathletes etc macros you'd see 55-60% of calories from carbs, personally I aim for about 60/20/20
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input, I feel like I am on the right track now. Looking forward to enjoying more carbs
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm a Spartan racer. Under a very strict and carefully watched diet I cut 20 pounds the second half of last season (4 months) all while getting stronger AND faster. Pulled a Top 10 Age Group finish in my final race of the season.

I'm also 5'8 and around 169 right now, training and cutting hard for the race season. Hoping to be down to 150 by mid summer.

It IS doable. It's just hard and not fun and most people don't want to put in the effort. Feel free to message me or friend me :)
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job! you are competing against a lot more people in your age group! I am 54.