Low Iron

MFP always says I'm very low on my iron but I haven't paid much attention bc I have a pretty healthy (vegetarian diet). Recently though, I've had no energy, my recovery is way longer (I lift), and I can barely lift my same weights let alone, add more. I think I'll ask my doc this week to check my iron levels.
Anyone here experience this? Do you just get prescribed a supplement? I started taking prenatals yesterday hoping they help.

Replies

  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    agreed to the above on a ferritin test. There are a few different deficiencies that can mimic iron. I was severly deficient when i was younger and I SWORE i was going through it again.. it was kinda kow but my D was like a 3 lol. Getting a vitamin panel every once in a while has been super helpful. You can even order them online if u dont want to see ur dr every so often.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I was seriously low on both iron and ferritin and had practically no strength. Mine was so low that I needed transfusions and a year on high potency supplements. I learned a lot when I was recovering.
    • Get a CBC and ferritin
    • Don't take anything high potency unless you doctor tells you to
    • If you need iron, don't take it with a multi or food that has calcium which can hinder absorption of iron. Check your pre-natal. If there is a fair amount of calcium in it, that may cancel out the iron for you
    • If you take something for acid reflux like prilosec, don't take it at the same time as any meds or supplements, including iron. It can hinder absorption
    • It is best to get your iron both from animal (heme) and plant (non-heme) sources. If you are a vegetarian, do the best you can
    • It takes a while to rebuild your red blood count to where you can maintain a good level, but it doesn't take as much to maintain that level.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Ok thanks for the feedback. I plan to talk with my doc this week but I swear I'm starting to feel better already after starting the vitamins yesterday (I doubled up). In regards to the calcium in the prenatals, it's pretty low like 15%.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the feedback. I plan to talk with my doc this week but I swear I'm starting to feel better already after starting the vitamins yesterday (I doubled up). In regards to the calcium in the prenatals, it's pretty low like 15%.

    If you are iron deficient, it takes a very large dose, for weeks to see a difference. You are experiencing placebo effect ;)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the feedback. I plan to talk with my doc this week but I swear I'm starting to feel better already after starting the vitamins yesterday (I doubled up). In regards to the calcium in the prenatals, it's pretty low like 15%.

    If you are iron deficient, it takes a very large dose, for weeks to see a difference. You are experiencing placebo effect ;)

    yea unfortunately it takes reallly high doses.. BUT placebo effect is awesome haha! glad ur gonna check up with ur dr!
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    This is just too cool for word: www.luckyironfish.com
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    kes840 wrote: »
    This is just too cool for word: www.luckyironfish.com

    I agree! I use my lucky iron fish and take an iron supplement too. Here in Canada I can get it directly from the pharmacist without a prescription. They will counsel people as this is an element that people can overdo. I can't so I take the therapeutic amount daily.

  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Yes - I agree - it's likely a placebo affect.
    That lucky fish is super cool, never heard of it before. In the past, I've tried to use my cast iron pan a lot to increase my iron - same idea.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    kes840 wrote: »
    This is just too cool for word: www.luckyironfish.com

    I agree! I use my lucky iron fish and take an iron supplement too. Here in Canada I can get it directly from the pharmacist without a prescription. They will counsel people as this is an element that people can overdo. I can't so I take the therapeutic amount daily.

    They sell over the counter in the U.S. too. Last time I checked the dose was super high, like 361% of the daily recommended. It was prescribed to me.

    Iron + vitamin C helps absorption.

    Off to see what this lucky fish thing is........