Firefighters lost..........

Options
princessofredrock
princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
I just wanted to put this out there for anyone who lost someone when the 19 hot shot firefighters got trapped battling a blaze in Yarnell, AZ.

My heart, prayers and love go out to the family, friends, fire dept and those in the city of Prescott. Those brave firefighters who lost their lives will live on in our hearts and be there to watch over the others that are still out there fighting!

Much love and respect,

Chelle

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    It's truly awful. A friend of mine in Prescott today saw the procession of the group as they were being taken to Phoenix. Watching the news last night, it was obvious the Prescott Fire Chief was in a case of pure shock and sadness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    My condolences to the families. True heroes doing a job to help protect others and property.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    God bless them for their services and condolences to the families of the fallen heroes.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    My wife is from Prescott and we had a house there for many years, so lots of friends there.

We haven't got all the names but I know some of them. I actually think I interviewed a few of them a year or two back as well. One of my close friends just got back from that area and was working along side them and he is just crushed. And you mentioned the Prescott fire cheif, who is the brother-in-law of some very close friends of mine so I hope that isn't correct.

It also hits home becuase I lost my uncle back in the 1970's to a forest fire in Flagstagg AZ. He was a hot shot crew lead and while he was able to get most of his men out, he and a few others perished in a similar fate as the 19. We still ahve a memeorial scholarship we support for Northern Arizona University's Forestry Program.

Tough times in AZ right now.

I did get some good news that a few friends of ours in Precott that work for the fire service are safe and sound, but had also been working the line with that gruop just last week.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Depending on which hot shot crew it was, I worked with them on several fires in 03-04. Those guys were always on top of their game, well trained and knew their stuff.

Prayers for their families and as well for the other crews on the fire. I know the fires I was on when someone did not make it out, there was sadness/reality about it, because it can be anyone.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    It was the whole Prescott Hot Shot crew from my understanding. Only one of the 20 lived, though is injured pretty badly from what I read.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree. My heartfelt condolences go out to all of the families.

I grew up in Prescott. My family is all still there, though we live about 90 miles south in Scottsdale. The area has just been gutted by it. In a town that small, it seems like everyone either knew someone on the crew, or knew someone who did.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Also, they've posted the names of those who passed - you can find it on the Prescott Courier's homepage.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    They just released the names. Some of them were so very young. Such a horrible tragedy. Heroes every one.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I will be in Prescott this upcoming week and will be sure to visit the station. I know they have a memorial going. I'm going to visit family, but my grandparents did mention it this morning to us, as now we need to change our route there because the fire is in the way of our normal route.

Just so devastating, I can't even begin to fathom it.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    very sad and thoughts and prayers to the families of these very brave men and its hard imagine the pain of the whole town.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes from what I read it was the team from Prescott. The report said the team survivor was moving a vehicle/piece of equipment at the time that is how he did not get caught in the fire.

My heart goes out to all of you that knew them and are in the same line of work! You are right Nightterror, it could have been anyone and still could be! Dangerous and courageous work they do to save peoples lives and homes.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to their family and friends. It is truly a sad time for AZ losing so many brave men in one day.

OUR HEROES LOST:

Ashcraft, Andrew - Age: 29
    Caldwell, Robert - Age: 23
    Carter, Travis - Age: 31
    Deford, Dustin - Age: 24
    MacKenzie, Christopher - Age: 30
    Marsh, Eric - Age: 43
    McKee, Grant - Age: 21
    Misner, Sean - Age: 26
    Norris, Scott - Age: 28
    Parker, Wade - Age: 22
    Percin, John - Age: 24
    Rose, Anthony - Age: 23
    Steed, Jesse - Age: 36
    Thurston, Joe - Age: 32
    Turbyfill, Travis - Age: 27
    Warneke, William - Age: 25
    Whitted, Clayton - Age: 28
    Woyjeck, Kevin - Age: 21
    Zuppiger, Garret - Age: 27
  • AfricaLatina
    AfricaLatina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is such a horrific tragedy....thoughts and prayers from the U.K are with the families and their community :( to lose so many at once... so sad
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Prayers to the families...:heart::heart:
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    So sad. For me it brings back memories of the '94 Storm King Mountain fire in Colorado that claimed the lives of 14 firefighters that had come from Oregon to help with our wildfires. It is tragic enough when 1 loses their life, but to lose the whole crew is beyond words. My thoughts and prayers are with their friends and families.
  • doronajay
    doronajay Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Adding my condolences here. My good buddy lost his friend (last on the list above) and I am devastated for him. Such terrible news.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Prescott Fire Department, their friends and loved ones, the firefighters still on the ground battling the fire, the town of Yarnell, and the entire state of Arizona.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It was the whole Prescott Hot Shot crew from my understanding. Only one of the 20 lived, though is injured pretty badly from what I read.

most companies have several hot shot crews. my company had 3 crews. Hot sure how many crews Granite (how of prescott) had. But looking at the ages, i prob worked with their crew boss. They def had a great reputation along fire crews.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lots of prayers to the family the sacrifice for their service is beyond words.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My father was a smoke jumper and was injured in the late 1980s... so these always hit way too close to home for me. I am heartbroken at the loss. I come from a family of firefighters, my stepdad was also a flight line firefighter on military bases. So I pretty much grew up in the firehouse. :/

One of my very favorite charities has a donation link up here: http://www.regonline.com/yarnellhill The National Fallen Firefighter Foundation is a wonderful organization and I have contributed and worked with them often. I found them when they did a 10th Anniversary Memorial Stair Climb for September 11th at Red Rocks, and is one of the greatest things I've ever been a part of. If you can chip in a few bucks, it might make a difference for the families left behind.