Whipped Coconut Cream help

Options
vegmebuff
vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
For those who have made this...

I've never made this (yet) but read that the 'frosting' that I hope to make is 'heat sensitive' and should be refrigerated if not served 'immediately' after it's been put on a cake, etc.,

Do you think It'll be ok outside of refrigeration for 2-3 hours? I hope to bring to a birthday party (cupcakes iced with this) and sure hope it doesn't become an epic disaster....I can see it now...cream melting onto the plate. Not good! Can I add a stabilizer perhaps?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience with this, it will *not* be okay for 2-3 hours without refrigeration. The coconut melts pretty quickly. But I have never tried it with a stabilizer.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You could freeze the cake. I often transport cakes in large cooking pans. I would put the cake inside the cooking pan and freeze both. As long as it stays COLD, not cool, you will be fine. However coconut oil in the kind that melts when it makes contact with your skin. Call ahead and ask your friend if she has room to keep the cake in her refridgerator so the icing doesn't melt. Don't expect a restaurant to say yes to this request because they probably can't access food from the dining room into their kitchen for sanitation reasons.

On the other hand, you can make frosting by beating butter until it's soft, adding confectioner's or powdered sugar and a little vanilla. The recipe should be on the back of the powered sugar box. Look at several boxes if you can't find one with the recipe or look on the internet. It tastes yummy and should remain not melted through an afternoon as long as it is July/August extreme weather.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm still on the fence - I'm loving the idea of this, but perhaps I'll use when I'm at home. As I don't want the cupcakes to be cold when I serve.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Agree that cold cake, or anything else, doesn't taste as good. Question-why coconut cream and not butter?
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    Agree that cold cake, or anything else, doesn't taste as good. Question-why coconut cream and not butter?

I'm making a Lemon Coconut Cupcake with lemon curd and thought...'hey...I bet that 'whipped coconut cream' recipe I've been wanting to try would be great with these!' Butter is fine - It's certainly used in the cupcakes and the curd! So now I'll most likely make an Italian Meringue Buttercream instead...very yum