eReaders or Real Books?

GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
edited February 2016 in Chit-Chat
I tend to like both.

Advantages of e-readers: you always have your entire library with you. Example: I'm at the doctors office. It's taking a long time, I can use my phone, which I always have with me, to read my book while I wait. Also, everything is stored electronically, no more messy books around the house collecting dust. Seems less wasteful on the environment, although I think that is not really the case. For reference books, I prefer them on e-readers because, again, I have it with me at all times. Another big advantage, you don't have to wait. You just select what you want to read, and it is instantaneously ready for you.

Advantages of real books: nostalgia. Tactile. The smell of books is nice. And, it is impressive to visually see how much I read with my pile of books after a few years. Also, loaning books is better. Easier to share. The ability to share on eReaders is a pile of dog crap.

What are your thoughts?

Typically, I go back and forth on this. Maybe it's not an either / or situation. I don't know.

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I like both. I use the kindle app on my iPad and download free books through my library lending system. Some of the newer releases I have to put on hold, but they're free so I don't mind. If I really want to read something immediately, I buy it on Amazon. There are always a few books I know I'll want to mark in or read over and over and I usually buy those in paperback.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    I like both but prefer the customizability of e-reading. For one thing, you can enlarge the font till the cows come home, which is important to me. Furthermore, I like being able to dim the screen for night reading.
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    I'm stuck in the stone ages as it has to be an actual book for me. Have tried e-reading and personally don't enjoy it.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I have a kindle. I was a literature major in college and have owned and read thousands of books. When I would go on vacation if back at least one book for each day. I got my kindle using airplane miles, and as much as I'm a book lover, the ability to download so many books for free and carry them around with me is amazing. It holds a charge for so long. Best gift I've gotten myself.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Also a big fan of traveling with my iPad vs. trying to pack multiple heavy books for a long vacation
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    real books all the way- I love the smell of a new book. Also I like seeing how much I have left esp if it's a bad book ( I have this OCD thing where I have to finish no matter what).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
    real books waste resources...paperless is the way to go.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Real if it's for enjoyment, iPad if it's for work/education.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Like a lot of you, I like both. The best thing about the e-reader, aside from what everyone has already said, is that it doesn't keep my hubby awake like when I read a book and need the light on. I also love that I can pay the $10 for amazon unlimited each month and there are thousands of books available at no additional cost. I used to spend $50 - $60 a month on books, now I spend $10. However, I love the feel of a real book. It's good I finally got an ereader when I did because I am out of shelf space for any additional books...and I just had a whole wall converted to a bookshelf built in.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    Both! My eReader saves me buying every trashy paperback I want to read so I can spend my book money on nice hardbacks.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Audiobooks!!! :P
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    I hate ebooks with a passion, let me sit down with a regular book
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I used to hate ebooks but found it was 2 things that turned me around 1 was growing accustomed to reading on an ereader which I couldn't really do until 2 adjusting the ereader to be more comfortable to my eyes.

Now I pretty much buy all new books digitally, but my bookshelves are also full of books and I don't have room for more without a remodel, so there's that.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    I like both. I've read ebooks more than books in the last few years. It's convenience and cost. I have the kindle app on my iphone and ipad. If I have a moment to read I can pick up where I left off easily without having to carry anything extra around, my phone is already on me all the time.

I read every night in bed. It helps to relax me. I can read on my phone, without the lights on, with my opacity turned down, and the colors inverted.

I like being able to download a ebook instantly no matter where I am. I am never without something to read. There's plenty of cheap or free ebooks available too.

I still enjoy purchasing books and adding them to my library.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    I'm about 50-50. I can't really say what makes me go one way or the other with each book. I do probably prefer my Nook for reading at night in bed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I have attention problems so I find reading real books helps me keeper focused better.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I used to hate e-readers until I realized that I could download library books on them, now I'm hooked. If I'm going to own the book I like the physical copy, but I love that I can download books on a lazy Sunday, especially since our local library is 20 minutes away and has atrocious hours.
  • bootqueenmfp
    bootqueenmfp Posts: 1,773 Member
    Real book .... Nothing better than cracking open a real book.....turning the pages!!!!! Yes I'm a closet nerd lol
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    mmmpork wrote: »
    Audiobooks!!! :P
    Agreed! Audiobooks are the way to go...you can knock out a book in a few weeks just during your commute to and from work. Also, if you're into distance running, it's a good way to keep your mind off the run. Occasionally, you'll listen to a book and the person reading it will be awesome! Those are the best ones...a good reader can turn a mediocre story into a great listen...or a great story into a fantastic experience!

On the other hand...a bad reader can turn a good story sour. Example, Stephen King likes to read his own stories...which is a terrible idea! Don't quit your day job Mr. King...just crank out the stories, leave the reading to the professionals! :smile:

The only problem with Audiobooks is they are more expensive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If I buy a real book and read it, I'm compelled to also keep it (unless it's paperback)...meaning books just pile up all over the house and frankly, we don't have a big house...my wife and I have pretty much gone paperless at this point.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    For the yay ereader peeps check out hundred zeros website. It links to thousands of free books.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2016
    I only read real books. I stare at a computer screen all day at work, I don't want to stare at a computer screen to read novels too. Plus I love adding to my bookshelves, I would love every wall in my apartment to be covered in bookshelves. And that book smell mmm!

My sister reads everything on her kobo and always has access to free books, that is an advantage. Sometimes when money is tight I have to wait on new books.

(I usually only buy used books. Recycling <3 )
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    I like both. With my Kindle, I have the option of taking countless books with me wherever I go, so if I'm waiting at the dentist's office or on a road trip, I'm not bogged down by the weight of different books. Atop that, storage isn't an issue and I can read in the dark. On the other hand, there's something intoxicating about the weight and feel and smell of a real book in my hands. There's nothing quite like it.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Real books all the way. I read to relax and staring at a screen is not relaxing to me. I can't keep my attention focused on a screen like I can a book. I can't make notes in the margins then send the ebook to a friend the way I can with a real book. Plus I really love reading in the bath and accidentally dropping a paper book would be a much smaller financial loss.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 461 Member
    I don't seem to retain stuff as well with ereaders. Real books.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    One thing no one is mentioned, is with using my ipad as an e-reader, if I don't know what a word means, I can just touch the word, and up comes the dictionary with the definition of the word. That's gold.

As I said, I go back and forth. I recently purchased an e-book because I was waiting for a real one from Amazon. I finished a real book, and put in an order, but then, wanted to read something. So, bought the e-book. I haven't read an e-book for a little while, and thought about how much I enjoy it over real books. I'm a little crazy too, in that I've had the real book in my hands, and then got sick of holding it, and decided to buy the e-book. LOL. The ipad is lighter, and I don't have to screw around holding the pages open when I'm laying down. I hate that.

Interesting to see all the various perspectives on this.

Yep. you're pretty crazy. :tongue: Holding and feeling and turning the pages is what makes a real book so much better and more satisfying!
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    One thing no one is mentioned, is with using my ipad as an e-reader, if I don't know what a word means, I can just touch the word, and up comes the dictionary with the definition of the word. That's gold.

Yes! I forgot about that. It's a very handy tool.
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    I tend to like both.

Advantages of e-readers: you always have your entire library with you. Example: I'm at the doctors office. It's taking a long time, I can use my phone, which I always have with me, to read my book while I wait. Also, everything is stored electronically, no more messy books around the house collecting dust. Seems less wasteful on the environment, although I think that is not really the case. For reference books, I prefer them on e-readers because, again, I have it with me at all times. Another big advantage, you don't have to wait. You just select what you want to read, and it is instantaneously ready for you.

Advantages of real books: nostalgia. Tactile. The smell of books is nice. And, it is impressive to visually see how much I read with my pile of books after a few years. Also, loaning books is better. Easier to share. The ability to share on eReaders is a pile of dog crap.

What are your thoughts?

Typically, I go back and forth on this. Maybe it's not an either / or situation. I don't know.

I agree. Both have their advantages. I really like that e-books don't have to be carried anywhere and you have your whole library with you.

Sometimes you need a real book and an e-book just doesn't cut it, like e-cookbooks! It is very hard to use an online cookbook. Textbooks are often nice to have in person as well so you can mark up the book. I like to have the bible as a real book because it is easier to read that way.