The health benefits of tea? too much caffiene?

Options
beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
When people mention the ''health benefits of tea'' are they talking about herbal tea, flavoured tea, green tea or english breakfast? is it black or with milk? can you add sugar?

I have english breakfast tea with milk, and usually I will add stevia or something like that. I drink a LOT of tea, so I am thinking of switching to decaf.

Does decaf tea still drain some of the water out of your body?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Many teas have antioxidants, which are good. Black, green and white tea all have them. Herbal teas are often not a 'tea' at all but a tisaine, so it depends what's actually in them.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Should I be drinking a variety of teas?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Really, none of them are a magical health potion. If you like them, drink them but there's no real reason to push yourself to drink a variety unless you like them. If you're worried about caffeine, go decaf but I never have.

I do drink a variety, but only because I love trying new teas. They do keep my hydrated and probably help with some appetite control but I haven't noticed any particular changes since I started doing so.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Herbal "tea" often/usually isn't tea (typically it's made from other plants, although there are blends of true tea--camellia sinensis--and other plants sold, and I suppose some people might call them herbal teas, but that seems to me likely to confuse people looking for either a true tea or a non-tea product).

As for health benefits, it depends on which health benefits you mean. If you mean antioxidants, even herbal teas are probably going to have antioxidants, since they are plant products, but people are usually talking about true teas when they talk about this. The antioxidant properties are greater in green tea, which involves minimal heating of the tea leaves before packaging, than in black tea, which is dried, fermented, and heated much more than green tea before packaging.

I've also heard there are studies showing that adding milk to your tea somehow interferes with the antioxidant properties, but I haven't ever looked at the studies myself, because I just don't care. Drink the tea you like, the way that you like it, and make any added calories from dairy, sweetener, or whatever fit into your calorie goal. If you're eating a well-balanced diet with plenty of varied plant foods, you're likely getting lots of antioxidants and phytonutrients. I don't think it's worth stressing out over individual dietary choices (as opposed to an overall balance and variety).

As for caffeine, a cup of real (not herbal, not decaffeinated) tea on average is going to have roughly half the calories of a cup of real (not decaffeinated) coffee. If you're not nervous, jittery, on edge, or having trouble sleeping, or getting headaches when you happen to skip your usual "dose," I wouldn't worry about it.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont I usually drink 4-10 cups of English breakfast tea a day. I think that's too much which is why I think I should probably switch to decaf.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Just looked up Bell decaf tea at the Countdown supermarket in New Zealand- it costs about 4x as much as regular tea!
  • ithacabelle
    ithacabelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I have been drinking iced tea throughout the day in the way that I should be drinking water. I do miss the caffeine if I go without for a morning. I figure that it is better than the diet soda I have been hooked on; I drink it without any milk or sweetener.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    I think I should drink tea if I'm tired and want a nap or need some extra energy (I have Bipolar and usually get 8+ hours of sleep at night, so I shouldn't need a rest during a day, plus if I do nap, sometimes I do it 2 or 3 times a day for up to 6 hours at a time). 80% of the time that I drink tea, I don't need an extra boost, I'm just thirsty.
  • RebeccaSlabaughThitaram
    Options
    I love getting sample tins from Republic of Tea. That way, I mix it up with no caffine herbal teas and teas for my fix. Plus I can figure what i love or hate!