Newish to weights, etc.

Options
So back in college I was a swimmer, went to the gym, did all the training etc... now, 10 years later I am back in the gym and actually going regularly. I am looking for some advice.

Routine now:
Cardio, 30 minutes either elliptical, stair stepper, or treadmill (hills) 5/6 days a week
30 minute circuit (Planet fitness) that has different weight machines, and a cardio piece.. a minute on a machine, minute on the cardio piece... I do change the weights and get in about 15/20 reps. I do this every other day.
15 minutes of abs 5/6 days a week

Any tips or advice? I know some people have mixed reviews about Planet Fitness, but it was affordable and I wanted to see if I would stick with it. Thanks!! Also, feel free to add me as I am looking for new friends to swap ideas with, etc.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    See my post here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35541141/#Comment_35541141
    Check Youtube for form tutorials of any unfamiliar exercises.

I'd keep the reps around 10-12, definitely increasing the weight whenever you can do 15. 20 reps is cardio.

I'd do weights first, cardio after, and i wouldn't do cardio in between weight sets.

Ab exercises don't target belly fat, if that's what you're trying to do. I'd cap it at 5 minutes every other day.

• fillingame
    fillingame Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks, any other advice for belly fat I'd take, too! Thanks again!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is body fat, and the way to get rid of all fat is the same - get into a calorie deficit. Fat loss can't be targeted. The belly is often the last to go. :+1: