Is your weightloss eating for enjoyment and macros/health

Options
beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited February 2016 in Chit-Chat
Why do so many people on myfitnesspal only seem to focus on iifym and not on how nutritious a food is? I see lots of articles in magazines or online about the health benefits of certain foods, or the nutritional values of certain macro/micronutrients and how important they are for your body. Do people on here care about food being healthy or just on whether it will taste good and result in a calorie deficit?

I see a lot of stuff that is supposed to be good for you, but I write about it on here, and its called ''bunk'' or something. I asked about the health benefits of tea and someone said its not a magic beverage and to only drink it if you enjoy it. I think if something is good for you or will improve your health in any way, you should try your hardest to include it in your diet, try it a dozen times to see if you end up liking it, and if you don't, do something else instead.

Is it important to you-
how much sugar is in your diet?
how much salt is in your diet?
how much saturated fat is in your diet?
how much water you drink?
if something is supposedly good for your body?
how colourful your diet is? (fruit and veges of colour vs white foods)

or just amount of protein/carbs/fat?

+I'm also asking, do you believe that there is no food with individual health benefits? like there is no such thing as a good or bad food? or a super food?

are there any foods that you try and eat every day or week?

Replies

• RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic for me. Some of my friends with open diaries don't eat any fresh fruit/veggies. Never ever. So I think it's important to try to balance everything and have as much natural, unprocessed food as possible but also enjoy things you love so that it doesn't feel restrictive.
    Honestly, I try not to obsess about macros and micros. I can't make it perfect. Recently I've been having more salt than I should. I know it and I'm working on it. It's very hard to change all of your bad habits at once. But I do care and I understand what you mean.
    For example I decided to try drinking tea and not coffee while at work. Yes, it's not magic, but my mood is a little better and I'm less nervous during the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people on myfitnesspal only seem to focus on iifym and not on how nutritious a food is? I see lots of articles in magazines or online about the health benefits of certain foods, or the nutritional values of certain macro/micronutrients and how important they are for your body. Do people on here care about food being healthy or just on whether it will taste good and result in a calorie deficit?

I see a lot of stuff that is supposed to be good for you, but I write about it on here, and its called ''bunk'' or something. I asked about the health benefits of tea and someone said its not a magic beverage and to only drink it if you enjoy it. I think if something is good for you or will improve your health in any way, you should try your hardest to include it in your diet, try it a dozen times to see if you end up liking it, and if you don't, do something else instead.

Is it important to you-
    how much sugar is in your diet?
    how much salt is in your diet?
    how much saturated fat is in your diet?
    how much water you drink?
    if something is supposedly good for your body?
    how colourful your diet is? (fruit and veges of colour vs white foods)

or just amount of protein/carbs/fat?

+I'm also asking, do you believe that there is no food with individual health benefits? like there is no such thing as a good or bad food? or a super food?

are there any foods that you try and eat every day or week?

I don't think you understand what IIFYM is...IIFYM is a concept that looks at the diet as a whole without nitpicking every little snack or meal or food item. If one has a good macro ratio, it will be self limiting as to how much "junk" can be in one's diet...but it's not an all or nothing type of concept which a lot of people who fail miserably at dieting tend to gravitate towards.

For most people who follow the concept as intended, nutrition is pretty important...and when you see people advocating for focusing on calories, all they are telling someone who is struggling is to focus on what's numero uno where weight loss is concerned...which is calories...people can figure the other stuff out once they have the basics under control.

I eat a diet primarily focused around whole food nutrition...to include lots of colorful fruits and vegetables as well as....gasp...potatoes (white food) and such. I don't eat much in the way of added sugars; most of my sugar is derived from fruits and veg and whatnot. Saturated fats aren't quite the devil that many think they are...they shouldn't be over-consumed, but at the same time they are important to certain functions...for males in particular, testosterone production comes to mind. I drink enough fluids, mostly water, as to stay hydrated...as that is all that is important...there is no magical amount of water one should be drinking...it's highly variable. I live in the high desert at over a mile high, so that equates to over a gallon per day for me...but someone at sea level probably wouldn't need as much.

I believe there are more nutrient dense foods and less nutrient dense foods...when people say there are no good or bad foods, they are talking about that from an energy standpoint, not a nutritional standpoint (which I can't believe this actually has to be explained for like the gazillion time on this forum). The composition of your diet as a whole is far more important than nit picking every little thing...I mean, what harm is a small bowl of gelato going to bring to me after I've had an awesome day packed with nutrition and I've met all of my micro and macro goals...you really don't get extra credit you know.

"Super foods" are marketing ploys...the list changes all the time...coconut oil is a great example...not that long ago, it was one of the greatest of all dietary demons...to the extend that theaters were mandated to stop using it when making popcorn...today...super food....'cuz marketing and $$$$$. Yes...there are foods that are packed with nutrients...lots of them...I eat them...some of them are on the super food list and some aren't...I'm not going to get wrapped up in marketing BS...I'm going to eat foods rich in nutrition, hit my targets, then go for a beer.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I take a look at my micros once a week, maybe. I've tried getting more fiber into my diet in the past, and realized sometimes it's okay and it's not worth stressing over.

I feel I have a pretty balanced diet and I don't have to really try to get things like fruits and vegetables in, since I enjoy them. I eat what I enjoy, I don't try to eat things I don't like because I don't see the point, if I can get comparable nutrition out of something else that tastes good to me. I don't feel like my body is lacking anything...

Now, my boyfriend's dad on the other hand is the type of person I would say should show more concern with nutrition. He is the pickiest eater I've ever known. The only vegetables he will eat are corn and potatoes. He will eat one meal a day, maybe, and it will be a very small one. Sometimes just a sticky bun. He refuses to try new foods. Honestly sometimes I don't know how he survives.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I only started a few weeks ago but my main focus is eating lots of veggies and fruits, having protein at each meal, cutting down sugar and salt, less carbs, eating healthy fats and trying to get enough fiber. i was stressed about my macros but i think focusing on eating better while staying in my calorie goals is better for me right now.