Who Here Likes to Wear a Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to see who likes to work out with a heart rate monitor and who doesn't. I like to wear one because it pushes me to reach a certain goal I set for myself (sometimes it's the calorie count, other times it's the heart rate itself - keeping it in a certain range, etc). I think... if I didn't have a heart rate monitor... I think my workout results would vary greatly. My boyfriend doesn't like to use a HRM and says he trusts his ability to keep track of everything in his mind, however, he recently went to weigh himself and the number had not moved since he last checked in. So, I feel a HRM is a good investment for that reason alone.

Would love to hear what others do.

P.S. / Side Question: Anyone use the Polar FT4 and notice that the transmitter stops working intermittently? Not sure if mine is a dud or not :\

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I had an FT7 for a while and found it was giving me erratic readings, so I stopped using it. Now I have a Fitbit Charge HR, but haven't done anything other than walking to really see how it handles.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wear one when I run or cycle and need to watch my heart rate for training purposes. I don't wear one for anything else.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 and love it.
  • furylabs
    furylabs Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know Polar has a good reputation and the one I owned several years ago worked really well... so it sucks to think they may not be as quality manufactured anymore. I can't really afford anything else, I'm afraid.

Will have to send it in for a replacement if it keeps acting funny (always fun to have your HRM stop working mid workout :-p)

Thanks for your feedback!
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I had an FT7 for a while and found it was giving me erratic readings, so I stopped using it. Now I have a Fitbit Charge HR, but haven't done anything other than walking to really see how it handles.

• furylabs
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 and love it.

That's awesome! I love mine is just a bit of a dud.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a polar that is about six years old and love it. I have used it for my circuit training and running and it seems pretty accurate based on the rate of my loss.
  • furylabs
    Options
    Hi Hornsby. Do you mind my asking the reason for watching your heart rate in specific?
    Sometimes I find if I push too hard I start getting very uncomfortable heart palpitations, mostly when I am underslept, but I don't like to push it. I find my preferred zone just under that.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I wear one when I run or cycle and need to watch my heart rate for training purposes. I don't wear one for anything else.

• furylabs
    Options
    Hi! Any chance you know the exact number/model of yours? Maybe I should have bought a gently used older Polar HRM?!
    I have a polar that is about six years old and love it. I have used it for my circuit training and running and it seems pretty accurate based on the rate of my loss.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I wear a polar f4. I usually use it when I do a new workout, to get a general reading.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivoactive and wear a HRM when I workout using a gym specific app called GymTimer. So far so accurate (had it since end of December and was an upgrade). I use it to track improving fitness seeing my heart rate not shoot up to max immediately and for the duration like when I started. And the calorie burns seem to be pretty accurate, much more accurate than with my previous device (Vivofit, again paring with a strap).

With the reading drop outs, I have found with it being winter and therefore starting when cold I need to dab a little water on the sensors before I start as there's no moisture on my skin as yet to help things along.

I honestly couldn't imagine not working out with it, I've become quite the data geek!
  • furylabs
    Options
    Thanks! I will try to add more water then... I don't sweat until midway with my workouts and I do only notice it at the start.

I will check out GymTimer, sounds useful.

Lastly, I totally agree with the data geek thing :D In fact... I wish I had even more gizmos for collecting even MORE data! :-p
    I have a Vivoactive and wear a HRM when I workout using a gym specific app called GymTimer. So far so accurate (had it since end of December and was an upgrade). I use it to track improving fitness seeing my heart rate not shoot up to max immediately and for the duration like when I started. And the calorie burns seem to be pretty accurate, much more accurate than with my previous device (Vivofit, again paring with a strap).

With the reading drop outs, I have found with it being winter and therefore starting when cold I need to dab a little water on the sensors before I start as there's no moisture on my skin as yet to help things along.

I honestly couldn't imagine not working out with it, I've become quite the data geek!

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar A360; started out with the Polar FT7. I like both but I'm more partial now to the wrist based HRM even though it's not as accurate. I like knowing where my heart rate is at while I'm working out.
  • furylabs
    Options
    Wrist based? I've never used one. I only have experience with the chest strap style. But if it works for you - awesome! They are a useful tool, no doubt :)
    I have a Polar A360; started out with the Polar FT7. I like both but I'm more partial now to the wrist based HRM even though it's not as accurate. I like knowing where my heart rate is at while I'm working out.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My polar ft4 is never intermittent - you maybe have a dud or are not positioning it well

I like to use my HRM for training
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    furylabs wrote: »
    Hi Hornsby. Do you mind my asking the reason for watching your heart rate in specific?
    Sometimes I find if I push too hard I start getting very uncomfortable heart palpitations, mostly when I am underslept, but I don't like to push it. I find my preferred zone just under that.
    Hornsby wrote: »

I do endurance cycling. Rides can be anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours long for me. I can only maintain certain heart rates for so long. It's a pretty common training tool.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    I recently got an applewatch - I haven't bought lunch since Jan 1 at work - brought my lunch every day as part of my diet plan and I have saved so much money. To reward myself, bought an applewatch. I love the heart rate monitor and the steps/ workout tracking.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like my Scosche Rythym+. It's wrist based. At the moment, I'm just using it to monitor using Runmeter. It's interesting to see what my HR does at different points of my run (especially on runs where I'm already fatigued) and I'd like to eventually use it to assist with distance run training.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I like my Scosche Rythym+. It's wrist based. At the moment, I'm just using it to monitor using Runmeter. It's interesting to see what my HR does at different points of my run (especially on runs where I'm already fatigued) and I'd like to eventually use it to assist with distance run training.

+1 on the Scosche Rythym+. I use it when doing my gym workouts and I connect it with with SportsTracker or MapMyFitness. Cannot speak more highly of this HR monitor
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I use a chest strap HRM with my Garmin watch when I run.

I like it because it gives me a no BS reading of what I'm doing. Max HR can vary a lot from the age formula so I don't use it to try to stay in any particular zones or anything. But if I feel like I'm working hard and want to stop and walk and look down and see it's really not that high I know I need to push myself. But if I look down and I'm near my max I know it's okay to slow down, that I must be working harder that day. Heat, hydration, training, etc can all have big effects on how hard you have to work to cover the same distance and pace two days in a row. So I think it is useful for that. Also as a measure of progress if the same speed a couple months later produces a lower HR etc.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin heart rate monitor that came with my cycle computer, but I also use it with my basic running GPS watch, sometimes running, but more often in the gym - I then use this to estimate my calories for the session.

How accurate using HR monitor for a gym session (say on the bike) is I'm not sure yet. Since I have got fitter, I increase the resistance on the bike, thus I use more energy, yet if anything my HR is lower. This means I'm getting lower calorie burn levels for a more vigorous workout, no?

Underestimation isn't a huge issue atm but might be when I get to maintenance..