Got a good spaghetti sauce recipe?

Options
2»

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I use a large can of crushed tomatoes, an 8oz can of tomato paste, and spices (usually oregano, basil, garlic, salt and pepper). I let it simmer for several hours. You can add any vegetables/meats that you want. I like mushrooms, onions, and peppers but have also used carrots, zucchini, and broccoli.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AshleyNWilliams84
    AshleyNWilliams84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My dad's ex-wife is Italian so meat sauce and all things Italian were really big in our house on a regular basis. I still use the basics of her recipe but I make it with a "healthy" twist:

You'll need:
    -1 pack of Honeysuckle white Sweet Italian Sausage - removed from casing (Sweet is the only kind I can find around here)
    - 4-5 fresh chopped roma tomatoes
    - 3-5 cloves of minced garlic (I love garlic!)
    -1 big chopped onion
    - 1-3 cans of tomato sauce (just depends on how "saucy" u want it)
    - Salt and Pepper
    - Basil, Oregano, Italian Seasoning (I tend to use the dried stuff b/c fresh is more expensive. To get more flavor out of dried, rub it between ur hands to release the flavor)
    -Garlic Power and Onion Powder
    -A little water (depending on desired thickness)

Brown the meat and break up the big pieces into crumbles. Drain it if there's anything to drain (I never have anything to drain). Add the minced garlic and just brown it. Add tomatoes and onion and cans of tomato sauce. Season to taste w/ salt and pepper. Add additional seasonings to taste ( I add a lot because I love the flavor! Add water to taste. Simmer and let the flavors marry up for at least 30 minutes; the longer the better. Eat up!

You can also add other veggies like those tri-color peppers
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    just commenting to keep this for later :)
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Basic tomato-basil:

Tbsp olive oil
    One onion
    Two cloves garlic
    Two 400 gr jars of chopped tomatoes
    Handful of fresh basil.

Chop onion and garlic. Heat olive oil in an saucepan. Sautée the onion and garlic on a medium heat until glazed.
    Add the chopped tomatoes and let simmer for 15 minutes.
    Chop the basil slightly. Turn off the heat and stir the basil into the tomato sauce.

Goes with everything :).
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! i have been wanting to ask this myself - yes!!! :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1 container san Marzano peeled tomatos
    half an onion diced
    10 garlic cloves minced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    good portion of basil..I have my own plant so not sure how much I use..

combine olive oil, garlic, and onion in pan and turn on high ...once garlic beings to simmer and get fragrant add tomatoes; I usually fill container up about half way with water and add.

Smash tomatoes up until they are pretty well mixed together and bring to boil, once boiling reduce to simmer.

At this point I add fresh basil and more garlic (5 more cloves)

add salt and pepper to season ..

continue to simmer about 20 to 25 minutes...and done!