Maintaining a self tan while working out daily.

Options
So, I work out almost every day and I'm pretty fair complected. Just to give an example when I purchase makeup I am usually the lightest, most whitest color there is.
I just recently came across sun labs, and for those of you who don't know its a fantastic self tanner.
I know that after applying I shouldn't shower, or sweat for about six hours.
But what about after that?
Will my tan maintain itself pretty well even if I'm sweating?
I don't want to put on this expensive lotion if its just going to come right off after a workout.
Does anyone have any tips on maintaining a self tan? Especially to those of you that use self tanners, and sweat daily!
I'm not giving up working out, but I really do want to have a nice bronzed glow since its summer...
I feel like either way I'm going to lose.
So tips, and advice is needed. :)

Its not really a fitness related question but its along the lines! :)

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    I would tan, but not even the sun won't warm my cold heart. :cry:
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    CANCER CANCER CANCER
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    CANCER CANCER CANCER

I want to punch you.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    CANCER CANCER CANCER
    I want to punch you.
    MEAN MEAN MEAN
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options
    I hope you know self tanner is a lotion. I have never been in a tanning bed, and I don't sit out in the sun to burn myself. Its a SELF TANNER that you apply to your skin to make you appear darker.
    That's why this question was mainly for women..
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    CANCER CANCER CANCER
    I want to punch you.
    MEAN MEAN MEAN

*facepalm*
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of self tanners myself, but I did work at Sephora for years so I think I can give you a few good tips.

- Go to Walgreens or CVS and pick up a pair of exfoliating gloves. Use these instead of a washcloth when you shower. That way it'll keep your skin exfoliated without having to use a separate scrub. It'll also keep you from getting those ugly parts in the backs of your knees, armpits, and inside elbows!

- Get a body lotion. Take out 1/4 of the product from the bottle and replace it with your self tanner. Shake up and use it daily after shower with your exfoliating gloves. This will keep your tan going but you won't risk blotches and oompa loompa syndrome. It'll absorb faster with moisturizer and will sink in deeper right after a shower when your skin is like a sponge. Body lotions will also help you keep your tan better. Moisturized skin hold products better.

- On your rest days, do a full on body scrub and use your self tanner without any lotion.

As far as a good body lotion, I love Alba's unscented Very Emollient Lotion. It's lightweight, no smell, leaves you skin dry instead of greasy, cheap, and easy to find at Walgreens or CVS. Hopefully this helps! Good luck bronze goddess! :drinker:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Apply at night after a shower. Problem solved.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just go outside. Is that bad for me now?
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    CANCER CANCER CANCER

it's false tan you f*cking div!! lol

EDIT- thought it sounded abit rude so added a lol. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ldnmaggie
    Options
    But, put it on just before you go to bed :-) shower in morning. :-) that's what i normally do xx
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options
    I'm not a fan of self tanners myself, but I did work at Sephora for years so I think I can give you a few good tips.

- Go to Walgreens or CVS and pick up a pair of exfoliating gloves. Use these instead of a washcloth when you shower. That way it'll keep your skin exfoliated without having to use a separate scrub. It'll also keep you from getting those ugly parts in the backs of your knees, armpits, and inside elbows!

- Get a body lotion. Take out 1/4 of the product from the bottle and replace it with your self tanner. Shake up and use it daily after shower with your exfoliating gloves. This will keep your tan going but you won't risk blotches and oompa loompa syndrome. It'll absorb faster with moisturizer and will sink in deeper right after a shower when your skin is like a sponge. Body lotions will also help you keep your tan better. Moisturized skin hold products better.

- On your rest days, do a full on body scrub and use your self tanner without any lotion.

As far as a good body lotion, I love Alba's unscented Very Emollient Lotion. It's lightweight, no smell, leaves you skin dry instead of greasy, cheap, and easy to find at Walgreens or CVS. Hopefully this helps! Good luck bronze goddess! :drinker:

Thank you! It came with an exfoliater, a maintaining lotion, and the self tanner itself! For the exfoliater it came with a loufa, do you think that would be fine?
    I don't really need tips on when to apply it, and how. I just needed tips on how to maintain it while also working out because I am afraid it will sweat off during a workout, and I think you sort of answered that by saying to keep my skin moisturized!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's probably a lost cause. You're going to sweat, and then shower, which is double the moisture exposure. Even if you do maintain some of the tan, it won't be even. I used to airbrush tan clients at my old salon so I'm very familiar with self tanners. If you are looking to be tan everyday you'll have to use something with an instant bronzer (like Quick Tan by Body Drench). It's a self tanner in an aerosol can (like hairspray) and it's instant rather than the gradual build up of a lotion. You can get it on amazon or at sally beauty. Eta: You'd have to use it almost everyday, depending on how much of the tan you lose by sweating/showering.
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options
    But, put it on just before you go to bed :-) shower in morning. :-) that's what i normally do xx

Do you ever have problems with it coming off during workouts, or when you sweat a lot?
  • ldnmaggie
    Options

Do you ever have problems with it coming off during workouts, or when you sweat a lot?

Uhm, not really.
    Today i applied mine and then worked out, sweated a little, but it was fine. nothing really happened.
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options
    I just go outside. Is that bad for me now?

If you can tan outside that's great! Unfortunately I can't! I either burn, and get really red, or I stay super pale! I wasn't trying to say that going outside is bad, or that I haven't tried it..trust me I have. Hahah it just doesn't work for me, so self tanner is my only way to get a bronzed look! Plus its a healthier alternative for your skin!
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options

Uhm, not really.
    Today i applied mine and then worked out, sweated a little, but it was fine. nothing really happened.

Thank you so much! I just wanted someone to answer that question lol!
  • ldnmaggie
    Options

Uhm, not really.

Thank you so much! I just wanted someone to answer that question lol!

Haha, BUT saying that it was like a good hour after i'd applied it ;)
  • Sierra_Christine
    Options
    Unfortunately it's probably a lost cause. You're going to sweat, and then shower, which is double the moisture exposure. Even if you do maintain some of the tan, it won't be even. I used to airbrush tan clients at my old salon so I'm very familiar with self tanners. If you are looking to be tan everyday you'll have to use something with an instant bronzer (like Quick Tan by Body Drench). It's a self tanner in an aerosol can (like hairspray) and it's instant rather than the gradual build up of a lotion. You can get it on amazon or at sally beauty. Eta: You'd have to use it almost everyday, depending on how much of the tan you lose by sweating/showering.

Well, that's what I'm afraid of! haha but Sunlabs is an instant tanner, and one application usually lasts people up to two weeks. Its instant when you apply, and after three hours it intensifies to a darker color. There is no "put it on daily" otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. Thats too much maintenance! :P
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

Thank you! It came with an exfoliater, a maintaining lotion, and the self tanner itself! For the exfoliater it came with a loufa, do you think that would be fine?
    I don't really need tips on when to apply it, and how. I just needed tips on how to maintain it while also working out because I am afraid it will sweat off during a workout, and I think you sort of answered that by saying to keep my skin moisturized!

NO! Loofa is definitely not enough. You really need something pretty rough to get all the dirt, grime, and dead skin cells off especially if you're coming from the gym. I would say exfoliating gloves and Salux clothes are the only two I would recommend. Everything else is a bit too soft. Use up your maintaining lotion, but just remember that all they are is moisturizer with self tanner added. So if it's expensive, just make you own. You'll get a better moisturizer and you can control how heavy of a tan you want to maintain. A lot of these companies try to sell you whole kits that you really don't need.