Fasting & Lent

Options
So, as some of you may know. It's the time of Lent. My sacrifice was dessert. I'm also fasting and can only have liquids and "non-solid" foods for the next 30 something days. Basically, nothing that involves chewing including soups with chunks in them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can eat? I've been surviving off of tomato soup and applesauce for the past week or so.

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    So, as some of you may know. It's the time of Lent. My sacrifice was dessert. I'm also fasting and can only have liquids and "non-solid" foods for the next 30 something days. Basically, nothing that involves chewing including soups with chunks in them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can eat? I've been surviving off of tomato soup and applesauce for the past week or so.

Is this for Lent, as well? Or a drastic, bordering on unhealthy, attempt to lose weight?
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @ClosetBayesian I'm not desperate to lose weight. I like to eat so no I wouldn't give up food for no reason.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    What's the reason for the no-solid-food bit, then? There's a heck of a jump between giving up dessert and giving up solid food.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agreed, your post sounds like you've given up dessert for lent, but are "fasting" for other reasons. Are they medical reasons?
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    I'm not catholic but I am celebrating lent because I felt a calling to do so. However, I am still Christian and my own church is having a fast of our own, a liquid fast. I don't feel obligated to explain my self or reasons. I asked for help, not accusations or ideas of what you believe I am doing. I don't need to lose weight and asked simply for suggestions because this is the forum I believed could help. Otherwise, I would have posted in a dieting forum. Thanks, but no thank you for the judginess. @Alatariel75 @ClosetBayesian
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Thank you, I can't do the first due to the "no desserts" part, but the 2nd and 3rd sound like good ideas
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    I'm not catholic but I am celebrating lent because I felt a calling to do so. However, I am still Christian and my own church is having a fast of our own, a liquid fast. I don't feel obligated to explain my self or reasons. I asked for help, not accusations or ideas of what you believe I am doing. I don't need to lose weight and asked simply for suggestions because this is the forum I believed could help. Otherwise, I would have posted in a dieting forum. Thanks, but no thank you for the judginess. @Alatariel75 @ClosetBayesian

Other branches of Christianity mark Lent by fasting, too; the concept of fasting during Lent is by no means restricted to Catholics.

That said, forgoing solid food for a month, even for religious reasons, even if your Church is doing it, raises red flags for disordered eating behavior. I was not judging you, but rather was concerned you were embarking on what amounts to a VLCD. (You are, by the way, embarking on what amounts to a VLCD.)
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You need some fat and protein. Add oils to the soups, dairy products, blend up beans, etc. This is super restrictive. I don't think anyone was being accusatory. Its just good to know why so that we can answer your questions accordingly. The answers would be different if you had a toothache, if you had diverticulitis, etc.

And, if you look in the forums, you will see a lot of people doing crazy measures to try and lose weight, so the people above were probably just worried that you were doing the same.

Good luck with your fast.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Your blood sugar will be nuts. Make sure this is okay with a doctor. Some large religions with long fasting holidays include times of the day where you can eat (like after sunset) and make sure people are healthy enough to fast.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Uhh... there was absolutely no judging in my post, i was just asking for clarification because i like to, you know, have information before making recommendations, incase it was for medical reasons or whatever. But hey, if you want to read judging where there was none and go for snarky push back, have at it.
  • chastity0921
    Options
    I have no idea how tomato soup and applesauce are going to lead to 1200 calories. I'm not worried @newmeadow , but her responses make me think that she's hungry. Like the snickers commercials.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Thanks @newmeadow and @chastity0921 I'll definitely look into protein powders and plain Greek yogurts to add to my unsweetened fruit smoothies and juices. As far as fats, I have olive oil maybe I can mix that into my soups.

@Kamikazeflutterby I'm a pretty healthy person. I work with a nutritionist twice a week as well as a trainer the other days. I won't be starving myself or anything. I eat the same amount of food calorically. I just drink it instead of eating it.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    I have no idea how tomato soup and applesauce are going to lead to 1200 calories. I'm not worried @newmeadow , but her responses make me think that she's hungry. Like the snickers commercials.

Lol, I probably should have written "lol" after that remark. I'm not literally only eating that. I'm not hungry. I love food too much to be hungry. I was only asking for more options to feed my face. I do appreciate the concern. If I wanted to starve myself, why suffer through tomato soup?
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options

Lol, I probably should have written "lol" after that remark. I'm not literally only eating that. I'm not hungry. I love food too much to be hungry. I was only asking for more options to feed my face. I do appreciate the concern. If I wanted to starve myself, why suffer through tomato soup?

Cabbage soup diet.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    @ClosetBayesian Are you suggesting I should do that or are you asking if I am? Either way, no thanks. I don't like cabbage.
  • chastity0921
    Options
    ...and blended cabbage soup sounds horrible. This morning I was thinking, and you could definitely do smoothies, protein shakes, or some kind of pre-made drink such as Ensure if you are having trouble meeting your caloric goal.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm fairly orthodox about Lent. Why non-solid foods and liquids only? That's more than the Eastern churches give up - which is pretty serious. I gave up an item and I abstain from meat on Fridays. That will last until Easter. I really am quite curious why you are fasting to such an extreme. The Church doesn't require it.

Edit to add: Ah, I should have kept reading. I have no helpful suggestions, but will remember you in my prayers.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Im going to leave my personal feelings aside and try to just answer your question
    ( I'm Catholic and am also celebrating lent so I'm not against religiousness)
    Get some protein powder . get enough calories in. Try your best to hit your macros. Greek yogurt is good and not a dessert.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How about lentil soup or split pea soup that you put into the blender to puree? I usually put lots of celery, carrots and onion into those soups when I make them and use a homemade broth base for extra flavor and nutrients. I have enough trouble just sticking to Good Friday and Ash Wednesday fasts so I'm quite impressed with your willpower.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt + flavoured protein powder = not a dessert or solid and a good source of protein. About 200 cals.

Soup is very easy to make with loads of different flavours and you can put in chicken, potato or whatever as well as all your veg to make sure it's full of nutrients and then blend it up. Make sure you use a bit of oil in the recipe.

Smoothies can also be done with banana, yoghurt and fruits of your choice to make it gloopy and you can just blend it all again.

What about mashed or puréed foods too like carrots/potato? There's no chewing required but you mightn't feel hungry.

Nut butter isn't chewy, so you can have a spoonful of that :)

Also some kids cereals, like a really soft oatmeal (don't know if you know what ready brek is?) that's really fine, then mixed with milk and it doesn't need to be chewed and can be very satisfying.

Good luck! Im also off all sweet things for lent too :)