Running and trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• beckygreene86
    beckygreene86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one is pointing out that OP is set to lose 1lb a week, but claims not to have much to lose.

If you do not have much to lose, your weight loss goal should be set to .5lb per week, otherwise you will lose muscle mass among other things. Obviously you are experiencing the other things by runs suffering. Set your goal to .5lbs, eat back 50-85% of exercise calories, and you should see your endurance start to increase again. Same thing happens to me if I do not fuel my body before working out, but weight lifting. I end up having to deload sometimes up to 20lbs. So ensuring you get adequate nutrition is important beyond running.

Very good points there. Run this morning went better
  • beckygreene86
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Do you lift weights? I have found that adding a couple days of compound lifts improved my shape over time, though I didn't lose weight (i.e., pounds) -

I do not do much of any muscle strengthening. Definitely one of my downfalls. Keep saying I'm going to add it but to me going out running is so much easier and more enjoyable.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights? I have found that adding a couple days of compound lifts improved my shape over time, though I didn't lose weight (i.e., pounds) -

I do not do much of any muscle strengthening. Definitely one of my downfalls. Keep saying I'm going to add it but to me going out running is so much easier and more enjoyable.

gotta tell you - I felt the same way until I started lifting with a purpose (and good form) - it's very liberating and empowering to see your hard work start to pay off in a tangible way. I don't want to spare too much time to lift, because running is too important for me mentally - but I *really* look forward to lifting days! :)
  • beckygreene86
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Fast digesting carbs are good to eat to fuel a run. If you eat foods before a run with too much fat and protein they will be slower to digest. Running gels works great but generally I only have those if I run over 6 miles. You said you were struggling with a 5K right? That is around 30-45 minutes of exercise which isn't that much considering what you're used to. You can either opt to eat a little more in general, fuel the workouts with more calories, or tone down the workouts (walk instead of run) until you reach your goal and increase your calories more.

You are hitting it exactly. I've been considering concentrating less on my running and more on the weight loss for the time being. By 5-7 weeks I should be at my goal. My problem is I know how hard it is to get back to where you were when you decrease and don't want that to happen. (sprained my ankle last winter and couldn't run or walk for about 8 weeks then slowly increased). Need to make a decision.
  • beckygreene86
    Options

gotta tell you - I felt the same way until I started lifting with a purpose (and good form) - it's very liberating and empowering to see your hard work start to pay off in a tangible way. I don't want to spare too much time to lift, because running is too important for me mentally - but I *really* look forward to lifting days! :)

What type do you do? I really know it would help my runs as for speed and endurance and needs to be added.
  • beckygreene86
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My thought this morning was that I need to be increasing my calories the day before my runs to be ready. Normally I would increase carbs for running but not sure that is the right thing to do with reducing calories. I'm thinking I should increase my protein so hopefully not losing muscle during this. (carbs still for the run itself)
    So slightly new questions, should I increase my calories the day before and would it be better if those calories are protein rather than carbs or does it matter?
  • beckygreene86
    Options
    Also just thought I'd throw it out there...make sure you are hydrating properly. Sometimes when we cut what we are eating we also get less fluids in. I eat around 1500 a day and run and haven't noticed any issues (but I am SLOW). However, if I didn't get 5-6 glasses of water in before I go for my afternoon run I really feel it.

Absolutely, I'm thinking this was part of my problem Saturday. Thanks for reminding me. Need to stay focused on this.
  • 4leighbee
    Options

What type do you do? I really know it would help my runs as for speed and endurance and needs to be added.

I like the full body exercises - squat, bench press, overhead press, deadlift, and barbell row - then I sprinkle in some other things when I feel like doing them (bicep, tricep, lat, etc) - it's so fun. Others could guide you much better than I but I use the Stronglifts 5x5 program as my general guide. I'm not a rule-follower, so I go off course quite a bit. Just make sure you check with someone on your form and train with very little weight at first until you're comfortable so you don't get injured! :)
  • beckygreene86
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks all for suggestions. I wish there was a "like" button as on facebook so I can acknowledge your wonderful ideas but not necessarily comment on each. Do know I greatly appreciate this. I have never had any kind of "professional" training. Internet and daughters that run have been my resources. I'm 51 and had never ran in my life prior to age 49. I've ran a number of 5Ks, 10Ks and 2 half marathons in the past 21 months that I started this but definitely still in the learning phase. The joys of perimenopause have added the need for some weight reduction.
  • beckygreene86
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Banana's are great post run, and if you need a few extra calories slapping on some peanut butter never hurt anybody. As for pre-run, I can't eat anything heavy right before or it comes right back up, just the general, fuel up on some carbs before a big run, pasta, rice, toast and peanut butter.

I have always increased carbs for runs but wondering if I should increase protein while trying to lose weight for the day before. I would continue with carbs the day of though. Any thoughts on this?
  • krouch17
    krouch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough calories you will not lose the weight....you need energy to burn. Don't sacrifice your calorie intake!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    krouch17 wrote: »
    If you are not eating enough calories you will not lose the weight....you need energy to burn. Don't sacrifice your calorie intake!

If this is true, how does anyone ever starve?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A balanced day of eating and hyrdrating the day before your run will certainly assure that your glycogen stores are replenished and you are hydrated. If you feel that 1280 calories is NOT enough calories the day before to fuel the run, eat at maintenance that day. What ever your normal carbs are for activity is fine. Everyday you should consume moderate protein and should be on a daily basis when eating at deficit to loose weight in order to maintain your muscle mass.

If you get quizzy, nauseated etc. on empty stomach before or during exercise and you are not used to running in a "fasted" state, eat something you normally do 1.5 to 2 hours before running, or however you feel running while possibly digesting your meal or snack.

If you run more than 5 - 6 miles or run intensively for 45 - 60 minutes, a carb shot (GU, Stingers. etc. which contain about 25 - 30 carbs) will get you through your run. You can also not buy these types of things and eat something like part of granola bar, banana ext. I use singers gummys and I also make my own energy bars (I only need about 100 - 150 calories) and can put in my "flip belt" and eat it on the run.

edited to add: if eating at your maintenance calories on the days before your run is too much for you and handling the deficit to loose weight, you may need to decrease the running a bit as someone mentioned, you cannot drive a car when the gas light is flashing at you. You can cut the running down by less miles, a lot slower pace, or revert to run/walk.

Eat carbs after your run, 4:1 ratio carbs to protein. This will start the recovery process after your run. Fit this into your calorie allotment on run day and certainly eat back some of those calories should you need to.

I forgot about this forum here on MFP. It is called EM2WL (eat more to weight less). You might want to check it out
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Banana's are great post run, and if you need a few extra calories slapping on some peanut butter never hurt anybody. As for pre-run, I can't eat anything heavy right before or it comes right back up, just the general, fuel up on some carbs before a big run, pasta, rice, toast and peanut butter.

I have always increased carbs for runs but wondering if I should increase protein while trying to lose weight for the day before. I would continue with carbs the day of though. Any thoughts on this?

It's important while losing weight to get a decent amount of protein to help preserve lean mass along with resistance training. I believe .6-1gram per pound of lean body mass daily is suggested.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you run in the morning then perhaps, eating a little more the day/night before would be more beneficial. I'm a runner and morning workout person so I generally do my exercise fasted (rarely I'll have half a banana with a glass of water before), but I do notice that if I've not eaten well the night before I'll suffer more fatigue and general ugh-ness.

Agree with the others above that perhaps you need to up your calories overall, I'm 161cm and trying to reach 54-56kg (started the new year on 61/62kg), so like you don't have much to lose so my deficit isn't hugely aggressive.

You have running experience, perhaps play around with increasing carbs and protein before a longer run (day/night before), see what works for you.
  • beckygreene86
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My mother took a nasty fall the day after I posted the question and died the following day. I have not had a chance to try any of it. I had ran right before I got the call of her fall, tried tracking what I ate for a couple days but nothing since. I did go for a short 3.5 mile run today and considering how little I have eaten all week I was shocked how well it went. Again, thank you.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That's very sad news. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you're ok.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Your body just need to adjust in decrease in calories. For my pre-run meals I would normally eat one slice of bread with peanut butter. For longer runs, I'd have two slices of pb with a banana.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My mother took a nasty fall the day after I posted the question and died the following day. I have not had a chance to try any of it. I had ran right before I got the call of her fall, tried tracking what I ate for a couple days but nothing since. I did go for a short 3.5 mile run today and considering how little I have eaten all week I was shocked how well it went. Again, thank you.

So sorry for your loss.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I am so sorry