Edited: Broken Foot....need exercise suggestions, please!

Options
katbass
katbass Posts: 351 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So I broke my foot in two places and severely sprained my ankle sliding into second base last month. I've finally ditched the cast, crutches, and knee-scooter, but I'm in a huge boot for the next five weeks, at least. I had been playing tennis three times a week and now I've been completely sedentary for 34 days.
I bought a stationary bike that'll be delivered tomorrow and I figure, taking it slow, I can at least burn some calories using my good foot and my arms.
What other at-home, low impact exercises can I do to make sure I don't continue to gain weight during this time? Any recommendations for how to adjust calories to compensate for this down time? Eat BMR or TDEE?
Also, if you've dealt with a broken foot ankle sprain like this, any tips or suggestions? Arnica gel helps a bit, as do Epsom salt soaks. Any other suggestions so I don't go nuts during this down time? Thanks!

Replies

• Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I twisted my ankle today and burned some calories by doing some upper and core work while sitting or laying. Just went from one to the other without the rest in between to keep my heart rate up. If you cut back on your intake a little also between doing what you can with some weights both should help you maintain until you are all healed up. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Broken foot, here, too. Besides biking, I took up freeweights. In the past, I never liked lifting, but the limited mobility left few choices. After a few weeks, I found that I love doing them. Over the last couple of months, I've really liked watching my strength increase and seeing the visible physical changes to my body. Now I'm hooked and can't wait to be fully mended so I can start doing more serious work on my lower body, too :)
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your broken foot, but being a veteran of SEVEN foot and ankle surgeries I can certainly relate to your newfound freedom when you ditched the knee scooter. Since you're now into what sounds like a walking boot you can probably get on the elliptical machine. But if you're like me, having the height imbalance between your walking boot and your regular shoe drives you crazy (as well as putting in imbalance on your hip flexors and such). If your doctor hasn't introduced you to a product called a "Even Up" shoe leveler, I highly recommend that you take a look at buying one ASAP. You can find them for about $30 and I think the product is worth it's weight in gold. Just perform an internet search for "Even Up" shoe leveler and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good luck with your recovery, it sounds like you're getting close to complete freedom! B)
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Had a boot with ankle fusion. Rode bike using boot. May need a strap to keep on pedal though I didn't.