Mac and Cheese Recipe - Can you make it better?

Options
jacklifts
jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
edited February 2016 in Recipes
5wpgm1z4ik0q.png

Here's what I did:
Boil almond milk and cheese over low until cheese melted
Add greek yogurt
Add to cooked pasta (pasta weight was measured dry)

Here's what I'm looking for:
Less calories per serving
Higher protein
More flavor

It was pretty tasty and cheesy (though not well flavored - I think I need additional spices other than salt/pepper).

Any ideas to make it better for a similar volume of food?

Thanks!

Replies

• Heidisjourney
    Heidisjourney Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some paprika, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce will add tons of flavor . I make my Mac and cheese using a white sauce , and adding those three items just makes it fantastic .
  • jacklifts
    Options
    @Heidisjourney Thanks! I'll definitely try those additions!
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    *I add feta as a cheese option because I like the tang.
    *I've recently used cauliflower to bulk up the white sauce with less calories. it works really well
    *I also add othe boiled veg, for bulk and added nutrition- this helps with my satiety.
    *like above I also add spices for taste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well you could try bean pasta to save calories (I find it disgusting, but heck). Why brown rice pasta and not whole wheat pasta, by the way? It will have more fiber and protein, I think....

And use extra sharp cheese instead of mild (I'm surprised you can even taste the cheese.. fat free cheese and mild cheddar... I wouldn't even waste calories on that, personally). And definitely add some mustard.

• jacklifts
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @fidangul thanks for the suggestions. I did consider adding veggies, but didn't get around to it.

@Francl27 my wife is on a low FODMAPS diet for IBS, so she's avoiding gluten.
    I mixed the cheeses to get the taste of the real cheese but reduce the calories but subbing half with the fat-free stuff.
    I'll try the extra sharp cheese with the seasonings, hopefully that'll help. thanks! by the way, are we talking mustard from the bottle or mustard powder, or it doesn't matter?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Don't know how the numbers would compare, but I've been making a version with a white sauce made from some combination of evaporated/skim/almond milk (I've been afraid to go full almond) and a little flour, a little garlic powder, dry mustard, 4 or 5 laughing cow cheese wedges (30 cal/each and your choice of flavors), some sharp cheddar cheese, and some 150 calorie high-fiber pasta I recently found at the store (Creamette, Ronzoni, and Hy-Vee all make a version). Not sure about the protein, but I have a fettucini alfredo recipe that uses pureed navy beans as the basis for the sauce. Haven't tried it yet.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but what about non fat cream cheese? I have put greek yogurt in mac and cheese to add protien. The soy bean (edamade) noodles from costco would be a good choice for gFs and high protein if you like the flavor and texture
  • Bluedogeats
    Bluedogeats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    agree with the evaporated skim milk but also use about 1/2 a box of pureed squash, thawed or cooked in microwave (found in frozen food section). Its perfectly pureed once thawed, mixes well into your sauce, gives it that "orange" color we are used to seeing with mac n cheese. I'd skip the FF cheese altogether (nothing but chemicals) and go with a stronger reduced fat cheese like Cabot or Kraft and just use slightly less. I also find about a tablespoon of parmesan helps give it a nutty flavor and pulls the other flavors together.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that includes mashed up butternut squash. Even my kids will eat it. For a 3/4 cup serving, it's only 263 calories. If anyone's interested in the recipe, let me know.
  • isabcas
    isabcas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I roasted cauliflower and use that instead of the macaroni.
    User milk, butter and cheese for taste and it will be very good.
    IMO don't need fake cheese or other use the real thing.
  • isabcas
    isabcas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use roasted cauliflower instead of macaroni, no need for FF cheese or other substitutes.
    Roast the cauliflower and let it cool.

Make a basic bechamel with
    3 tablespoons of butter/flour
    Add 1 cup of warm milk to it and stir until it thickens, take off the heat and add about 3/4 cup of cheese.
    Can be any type you like. Good way to use up those ends in the fridge. Stir in the cheese add
    mustard and nutmeg to taste. (important to be sure the mixture is off the heat when you add cheese or it can "break")
    Pour over your cauliflower and bake @350 until it bubbles

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has a really good truffle cheese, it has a really rich flavor, you could add a slice for flavor.
    Or far free sour cream when it's almost done.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Schlackity wrote: »
    I have a recipe that includes mashed up butternut squash. Even my kids will eat it. For a 3/4 cup serving, it's only 263 calories. If anyone's interested in the recipe, let me know.

I was thinking something along these lines, except with sliced summer squash. Adding some grated parmesan cheese gives a big flavor kick for not many calories, and I would use a sharp cheddar instead of mild.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you're putting Greek yogurt into mac and cheese (something I've never done, but I think I might try), use skyr instead. It's typically a little more nutritionally dense than Greek Yogurt. The brand I have in my fridge right now, Siggi's, has 23 g of protein and 120 calories in an 8 oz serving of non-fat plain yogurt. It has 3 g less sugar per serving as Fage and 5% more calcium. Also, as others mentioned, I would use whole wheat pasta and real, sharp cheese for more flavor. Mac and cheese made with Gruyere is also very tasty.
  • jacklifts
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    The cauliflower thing and squash is too much for me. I'm a simpleton when it comes to kitchen, especially for weekday meals.
    But I"ll try the added parmesan. Maybe that'll kick up the flavor profile.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for dry mustard. Try a pinch of paprika too.
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with white sauces made from pureed white beans(canned). Definitely try Worcestershire as suggested earlier. I've never thought to make Mac n cheese with it. I can't really do much pasta. I just got the veggie grater thingy lol. If I'm going to make a delectable dish healthy, I'm grubbing!