Options
2»

Replies

• mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    No cotton.

Get rid of the gel seat and get a pair of bike shorts with a proper chamois in them. Also wear the bike shorts commando. They are designed to be worn that way.

Do I get a wider bike seat fir my chubby lady bum? Or just get used to the one I have?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Egads.

Riding a bike sounds awful.

This made me LOL.

:wink:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    mom23nuts wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    No cotton.

Get rid of the gel seat and get a pair of bike shorts with a proper chamois in them. Also wear the bike shorts commando. They are designed to be worn that way.

Do I get a wider bike seat fir my chubby lady bum? Or just get used to the one I have?

They offer wider seats, it's a personal preference thing though. My seat is streamlined. I'd give the one you have a chance (a few weeks really) to really decide how you feel about it.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Ok conflicting advice I need clearing up before I shop for shorts. Some advice here says Gel Padded shorts some say wicking...some say chamois. So if the advice is to ditch the gel seat should I also stay away from gel padded shorts?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Chamois

I have ongoing yeast problems and the padded chamois works for me. There are padded biking shorts that are not gel.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mom23nuts wrote: »
    Ok conflicting advice I need clearing up before I shop for shorts. Some advice here says Gel Padded shorts some say wicking...some say chamois. So if the advice is to ditch the gel seat should I also stay away from gel padded shorts?

Chamois is padding.

Essentially padded shorts are more effective than a padded saddle.

Gel shorts are fine, they're a bit cheaper than decent chamois.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    REI sells padded bike shorts on line. So will local bike shops. Chamois and padding are the same thing.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Bbg340 wrote: »
    Thank the lord I'm not a woman

See. The Va-jazzle is a delicate and temperamental area. No wonder why some women are a bitchy...and itchy hot mess...literally!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lol I thought cotton was supposed to be good too. Glad I stopped in here. OP hope you're feeling better. The yeasties are not fun.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    lol I thought cotton was supposed to be good too. Glad I stopped in here. OP hope you're feeling better. The yeasties are not fun.
    Over the counter stuff DID NOT work after a call to the Dr. Back on track until next time...hope there won't be a next time.
    I used to do spin classes 5 days a week, no special gear but a towel, water bottle and my gel seat and I never had a problem. Now first 2 weeks back on the bike and BLAM!

Is this life at 40 or just bad luck? I hope things stay gluten free in that area! Ha!