Weights !!!

Options
what is a more efficent way to lose weight ? Lifting lighter weights with more reptitions or heavier weights with less repetions ? Example 10 reptitions with a 5 kilos or 4 repetions with a 50 kilos ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eating in a caloric deficit is the most efficient way to lose weight. The difference in calorie burn between lifting lighter weights with more reps or heavier weights with fewer reps is, generally, negligible, assuming you are using proportional weight. By that I mean using appropriate TM %s and reps. If your 4RM is 50 kg, for instance, a reasonable 10 rep weight would be 40 kg or so. 5 kg would be extremely low. I don't want to say that it would be a waste of your time to do 10 reps at 5 kg but I don't think it would be especially useful.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are going to see much of a calorie burn difference between the two. Lifting heavy with 4-6 reps is a good way to build muscle. The best way to lose weight is put yourself in a calorie deficit.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a culmination of many things.

Plenty of sleep
    Healthy eating
    Caloric Deficit
    Regular Exercise Plan
    And many more factors

By using MFP you can manage and count your calories to promote a calorie deficit which will in turn result in weight loss.

I think both methods (light weights or heavy weights) will burn calories and increase your strength. I would also recommend cardio if applicable at least 2 times a week.

Light weights will strengthen endurance
    Heavier weights can increase power

So try an incorporate both types through your week for weight loss. Remember to warm up before each workout to prevent injury.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I prefer hypertrophic rep ranges on a cut. Will usually do a few 4-6 rep ranges of whatever compound lift on the body part I'm working and then Hypertrophy ranges for the follow up lifts.

No reason other than preference though.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Its all in your macros. Count your macros. My husband and I are both lifting and shredding fat this way.
    if you don't now, try this calculator online to get yours and go from there.
    http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/