gym hot tub etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    "This is simple. If you are under 45 you will wear a towel in the sauna/steam room and trunks in the tub.

If you are over 60 you will be butt-naked and combing your hair while your balls rest on the counter in front of you. There is almost no exception to this rule. Hot tub? Naked. Sauna/steam room? Naked. I have found that older men cannot be naked enough fast enough or long enough in men's locker rooms. I would be curious to hear if this is true in the womens.

Between 45-60 it can go either way. I think in this range the more overweight the guy is the more they lean toward naked.

At least that is how it is at my fitness club."

Like this?

I think that cartoonist must be a member at my gym.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    This is simple. If you are under 45 you will wear a towel in the sauna/steam room and trunks in the tub.

If you are over 60 you will be butt-naked and combing your hair while your balls rest on the counter in front of you. There is almost no exception to this rule. Hot tub? Naked. Sauna/steam room? Naked. I have found that older men cannot be naked enough fast enough or long enough in men's locker rooms. I would be curious to hear if this is true in the womens.

Between 45-60 it can go either way. I think in this range the more overweight the guy is the more they lean toward naked.

At least that is how it is at my fitness club.

Yes, I have observed the same trend in the women's locker room.

ahhh yes i too, little Chinese lady sitting on the beach with her legs wide open...one of those awkward moments when your trying so hard to look but you just can't help it!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think the older people probably go naked since usually as you get older you get less sex so maybe they're hoping someone likes what they see. :laugh:
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options

4091.jpg

came in to post this, left satisfied.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem all that weird. But I lived in Japan...they have public baths and it's not unusual.

I live in Korea and full nudity is REQUIRED in the public bath area. You'll often see grandfather-father-son combinations scrubbing each other along side school friends. It's normal and doesn't phase them at all. I think public nudity and your reaction to it is a cultural thing - not a moral one.
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at all those replies. I think it is because most grew up in a different era.
    Communal sports had communal showers and this saved money at home, kids nowadays go home after a soccer or footy game to have a shower.
    Also we went through the swinging sixties, womens liberation, the burning of bras and freedom.
    Then AIDS hit and morals changed
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Dam gym hot tubs sound unhygienic lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what country are you in?

In Sweden you're the weirdo for wearing trunks

In the USA he's the weirdo for being naked

different culture, different attitudes. Maybe he's swedish (or other European) visiting the USA. Or you're American visiting Sweden and no-one warned you about that.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I'm well under 45, but am already kind of cranky, and it's been a while that I've been bored with worrying about hiding stuff. I don't do high kicks in the changeroom, but I'm not about to waste energy squiggling my bra off underneath my shirt, or looking for a stall to change in.

After seeing a recent post from a woman who cleans gyms professionally, I could not be paid enough to use a public whirlpool or sauna.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This is simple. If you are under 45 you will wear a towel in the sauna/steam room and trunks in the tub.

At least that is how it is at my fitness club.

Yes, I have observed the same trend in the women's locker room.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Seems like the Puritans still have influence, eh? All of the gyms I went to in Europe were coed and clothing optional. Made for some awkward moments when really hot women walked in. I remember getting a massage butt nekid while naked men and women walked around. No big deal.

In the US, if it's separate men's and women's, who cares? With all of the chlorine and heat your trunks will probably disintegrate anyway! Besides, I'm pretty comfortable in my skin. Hell, I'm so confident in my masculinity I even owned a minivan when my kids were small. After years of trying to teach tolerance, when did we become wimps in the locker room?

Come on, guys. Man up.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were at the pool and decided to sit in the hot tub. It's a large tub - seats about 20 to 25 people - and we were the only two in there. Then this rather portly, elderly woman got in. She came over and sat so close to me, that she was actually partly sitting on my leg. My friend and I sat there for a moment, a little stunned, and then decided we were done hot tubbing for the day.

I don't know if this was the old woman's way of having the whole hot tub to herself, or if she just thought I was cute.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Lol at some of the responses!

Well , my gyms hot tub is unisex, so no nudity! I'm sure there's a gym rule for shorts! OMG! Sorry!lol
    The old men at my gym think it's perfectly acceptable to walk around in hand towels/washcloths tied around their 44 inch waists discussing the merits of hemorrhoid removal out in the open sauna/steam room/spa. Periodically I will check in to look for hot dudes in washcloths, but unfortunately, they wear their trunks. :grumble:
  • jimmcwhirter
    jimmcwhirter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I travel in business in Asia (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China) - you would be obviously out of place in a swimsuit in the (segregated) hot bath/whirlpool, regardless of age. After over a decade of regular travel and use of hotel gyms (and hot bath or whirlpool after my workout), I don't even think about it, seems normal.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    & yes all the older ladies don't bother with swim suits in the sauna/steam room.

they're too much work. not that i'm all that old, but my r.a. hit me at 39, so i know wrestling with wet spandex is no fun when the stability of your manual joints starts to go south.

mind you, for me that's more a reason why i just don't swim/hot tub/locker room much, but the point is actually legit. i've never ever understood why people recommend swimming to those with r.a. getting in and out of the suits hurt me more than just staying at home.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This thread was started 4 1/2 years ago but it's still interesting.

LOL! ;)
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    This thread was started 4 1/2 years ago but it's still interesting.

LOL! ;)

Someone at least should have said BUMP :p
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Most of the gyms I’ve been to had the hot tub in the pool area (so they were co Ed) so going in nude would definitely be a little weird!. In the saunas and steam rooms I think it’s normal to go naked and I’m in the US. I think it’s odd to put on a bathing suit for that. In the hot tub I think it’s fine either way, swim suit or not. (Assuming the hot tub is in the locker room and not co-ed)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I guess.... hygiene wise its pretty much the same but visually its disturbing.....

I prescribe direct eye contact with him the entire time