Probiotics

No matter what I do- I'm just so bloated. Gonna start probiotics today...any feedback?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like the probiotics in Greek Yogurt, Activia, and Kefir. Kefir especially, even a shot glass worth, seems to really help my digestion.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Eat less fiber - particularly insoluble types.

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    I take probiotics every day. I've had stomach issues since I was a little kid. I honestly don't know if they work or not, but I kind of believe they do, for me, at least. My mom got me into them after she had a rough time with c.diff, she said they helped her tremendously. The one time I stopped taking them for over a week I was on vacation in Hawaii and I got crazy sick, but I don't know if that was because of stopping them or because I ate some weird food or accidentally swallowed some ocean water while I was there. I also have not had a UTI since I started using them, and I used to get them at least 2 times per year before I started. Again, I have no idea if that is a coincidence or not. So, I've just kept taking them. They can be expensive. If you have the money, maybe try them out to see if they make you feel better. Maybe they don't work, but if you're healthy, then there isn't really any risk to taking them other than wasting you don't believe they are worth it. I use the Jarrow brand that comes in 60 count pills (10 billion cells per capsule). I take one a day with dinner, and the bottle is around 15 bucks at my local grocery store, though sometimes there is a coupon. So, 8 bucks a month is worth it to me, as I feel like it helps me.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    I use probiotics when I am given a antibiotic treatment. It really helps with estomach side effects.
    I like kefir once in a while. I tried kimchi but it is too strong a taste for me
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    I just started a supplement that has probiotics/calcium/fiber & vitamin D together. Most of which I know I need. We'll find out with time if it makes a difference or not. Willing to give it a shot... my family has diverticulosis. Would really like to take care of my own guts before they rebel on me, too.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    I just started a supplement that has probiotics/calcium/fiber & vitamin D together. Most of which I know I need. We'll find out with time if it makes a difference or not. Willing to give it a shot... my family has diverticulosis. Would really like to take care of my own guts before they rebel on me, too.

Agreed. My nana passed away after surgery when she was 80 because she had to have part of her intestines removed (or something similar - I was younger when it happened). I have had stomach issues since I can remember, so anything, even if it might be a placebo effect, that gets everything working normally is worth it to me.
  • shoegirll
    shoegirll Posts: 17 Member
    I am on day two and I feel like a new person. Amazing what supplements can do!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    shoegirll wrote: »
    I am on day two and I feel like a new person. Amazing what supplements can do!

The placebo effect is amazing.
    The more I understand about normal GI flora, the more I suspect probiotics are the wrong answer to a wide variety of medical questions. We have a complex bacterial flora in and on us. We carry with us 10–100 times more bacteria than there are cells that make us up. We may think we are the pinnacle of evolution, but we are just sentient transport and feeding machines for bacteria.

The human GI tract is predominantly a bacterial ecosystem. Cell densities in the colon (1011–1012/ml contents) are the highest recorded for any known ecosystem. The vast majority belong to two divisions (superkingdoms) of Bacteria – the Bacteroidetes (48%) and the Firmicutes (51%).

There are over a 1,000 species in the GI tract with over 5 million genes. Most of these bacteria cannot be cultured but only identified by molecular techniques.

While they are often called “good” bacteria, the constituents of probiotics are not part of the normal GI tract in significant numbers if at all. The Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria and Saccharomyces (a yeast) found in most of the products are better-classified as “less pathogenic organisms” rather than good.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/gut-check/
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    My GI told me not to take probiotics for Crohn's