Lowering my calories

Options
Does anyone lower their calories on a day to say basis? I can have 1800 but have a lot to lose, but would only really have the full amount if I over eat which is what I'm trying to stop doing.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your goal of 1,800 is from MFP, then why would you consider 1,800 "overeating"? It's a goal that would put you at a deficit.
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of calories Jane and I worry I won't lose eating that amount.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Why would MFP give you weight loss calories of 1800 if you wouldn't lose eating that amount?

Anyway, generic advice...

Log accurately, monitor and observe trends/measurements/photos over a sustained period, then adjust calories as necessary.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Lov3lif3 wrote: »

Is there a specific reason why you feel MFP's goal (I'm assuming that is where it came from) won't work for you?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    If your maintenance is 2300 and you eat 1800 then that is a 500 calorie deficit and you will lose a pound a week on 1800 calories. You should eat as many calories as you are able.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I lose on 2000 calories....
    MFP allowance is about right.

As long as you weigh ALL your food, eat around the daily NET allowed calories that MFP gives ( and eat a part of your exercise calories back) you will lose weight.

It works, dont worry.

95069916.png

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You can post your stats. 1800 isn't that much. I still eat just below that to still lose weight at my rate of .5 pound per week. 5'7" 154 male
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Thank you. I haven't logged on for quite a while as I'd tried other diets. So I'll give it my all and log everything. I've got Broncitis at the moment so I need to make sure I pack a lot of fruit and veggies in which will help me to heal I'm sure. Hopefully by next week I can get back to walking.
  • Lov3lif3
    Options

Is there a specific reason why you feel MFP's goal (I'm assuming that is where it came from) won't work for you?

No real reason I've just always thought that a much lower calorie controlled diet was the answer. I'm aiming to lose at least 2lb a week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

OP, how much weight do you have to lose? I am a little shorter than you and I am maintaining at 130 lbs at @1,800 cals. So it would make sense that if you weigh more than 130 lbs, and your activity level is similar to mine (which I consider pretty average), you will lose weight eating that amount.

For the first couple of weeks, eat as you wish and really focus on getting your logging down, precisely and consistently. If you don't have a food scale, get one and use it as much as possible, at least in the beginning. This will help you see where you need to tweak your diet to spend your calories wisely, while losing weight and feeling satiated. It can take up to 4 weeks to really start to see results, so if after 4 weeks, you aren't losing try bringing your calories down at that point if you need to.

But I bet you won't have to, 1800 really isn't that much!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No real reason I've just always thought that a much lower calorie controlled diet was the answer. I'm aiming to lose at least 2lb a week.

Lower isn't always better. If you have a reasonable deficit, you'll be much happier while losing weight. Your energy will be higher. It will be much easier to resist temptation. You'll preserve more of your muscle mass while losing fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Unless you are obese, 2lbs is the MOST you should expect to lose per week. If you have less than 50 lbs to lose, even 2 lbs per week might be a bit aggressive.

It's just my opinion, but from my personal experience I really believe most people end up yo-yo dieting because they try to do too much too soon. You need to find a way to eat that will not only shed the extra weight, but a way that you can eat for the rest of your life to maintain it, and that can take a while to figure out.

Best of luck :drinker:
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Be thankful of the calories hun you'll miss them as you lose weight that amount will get lower.
    I use to moan at not having enough cals at 1700 a day. Now mfp gives me 1200 to lose 2lbs and 1400 to lose a 1lb
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

OP, how much weight do you have to lose? I am a little shorter than you and I am maintaining at 130 lbs at @1,800 cals. So it would make sense that if you weigh more than 130 lbs, and your activity level is similar to mine (which I consider pretty average), you will lose weight eating that amount.

For the first couple of weeks, eat as you wish and really focus on getting your logging down, precisely and consistently. If you don't have a food scale, get one and use it as much as possible, at least in the beginning. This will help you see where you need to tweak your diet to spend your calories wisely, while losing weight and feeling satiated. It can take up to 4 weeks to really start to see results, so if after 4 weeks, you aren't losing try bringing your calories down at that point if you need to.

But I bet you won't have to, 1800 really isn't that much!

Yes I have a set of kitchen and bathroom scales. I am lot heavier than you and have a good 5 stone to lose. So maybe it is about right if you can maintain on that amount. Thank you ☺
  • Lov3lif3
    Options

Be thankful of the calories hun you'll miss them as you lose weight that amount will get lower.
    I use to moan at not having enough cals at 1700 a day. Now mfp gives me 1200 to lose 2lbs and 1400 to lose a 1lb

That's very true and well done in your losd
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.4 pounds last week eating 1900-2000. It all just depends on how much you have to lose.

If you entered your stats correctly and chose a 2lb a week loss and MFP told you to eat 1800 then that's what you should eat. As long as you entered the correct activity level for yourself then you'll lose approx 2lbs a week if you follow their guidelines.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have someone between 25-30 more lbs to lose (apprx 2 stone) MFP gives me 1200 cals but I usually take 1300-1400 and I'm still losing (exercising regularly too) So I wouldn't think 1800 is too much for you especially if you say you have 5stone (=70lbs) to lose.

Trust the process..the process works
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    I'm going to give it my all ☺
  • Lov3lif3
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I lost 2.4 pounds last week eating 1900-2000. It all just depends on how much you have to lose.

If you entered your stats correctly and chose a 2lb a week loss and MFP told you to eat 1800 then that's what you should eat. As long as you entered the correct activity level for yourself then you'll lose approx 2lbs a week if you follow their guidelines.

Yes I added everything correctly though my stivity level has changed to nothing this week due to illness. But I only started today.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Yes I added everything correctly though my stivity level has changed to nothing this week due to illness. But I only started today.

You really shouldn't focus on weight loss while ill. Your body needs the calories to get better. My suggestion would be to eat at maintenance until the bronchitis clears up. Then weigh and log everything you put in your mouth and stick to the 1800 calories MFP set for you for at least a month. Then if you haven't lost weight, reevaluate.